Fall color on this Chinese Elm is striking to me!

Go down

Fall color on this Chinese Elm is striking to me!

Post  Todd Ellis on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:31 am

I won this Chinese Elm in the Potomac Bonsai Association Auction this Spring. I studied it, pruned, and began tying down branches to change its look. It looks like a sailing vessel Smile . The third photo shows the striking Fall color. I have never seen an elm with color like this before. I plan to grow some cuttings next year! I think I have a few inthe ground now from the initial pruning. The first photo shows the elm before I decided to bend the top part to add more movement to the tree. The second photo shows the brace I created and more rigging. The third shows the tree without the brace and the top part holding its new shape. I am pleased with its first year with me. Impressions and suggestions are welcome.

first photo

second photo

third photo

Last edited by Todd Ellis on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added text)
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Re: Fall color on this Chinese Elm is striking to me!

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:43 am

Yes, Todd, even down here in the Caribbean, you can see some of the leaves on a few branches do the same. Happy that you get to see the whole tree.

Here is a zone map to help you see where the Southern Chinese Elms may come from as well as serissas.

http://www.backyardgardener.com/zone/china.html

Until.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Fall color chinese elm

Post  moyogijohn on Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:35 pm

TODD,,Nice tree,,you have made a lot of inprovements..it looks like a tree growing in the woods here ,,good job. john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:14 am

Thanks, John! I appreciate that. 8-)
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum