Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog)

+5
Paul Landis
Rob Kempinski
JimLewis
bonsaisr
Will Heath
9 posters

Go down

Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog) - Page 2 Empty Bonsai Goes to Church & Synagogue.

Post  bonsaisr Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:45 pm

Thank you.
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog)

Post  hawthorn Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:10 am

Very nice idea guys.

hawthorn

Back to top Go down

Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog) - Page 2 Empty Bonsai goes to Church and Synagogue

Post  bonsaisr Sun May 24, 2015 10:58 pm

I'd like to see bonsai used with other religions. It is a completely secular art these days.
This year our synagogue tried something different for Shavuot, Feast of Weeks, Pentecost, anniversary of the Giving of the Torah. For the Scripture reading, the Ten Commandments are read in unison. After the service, we had a buffet luncheon and what they called a Beit Café. Members of our and the Reform temple submitted art and other works that were displayed all around the room, illustrating passages from the Pentateuch (Five Books of Moses, first five books of the Bible). I used a bonsai to illustrate one of my favorites, Genesis 2:19-20, which describes the origin of taxonomy. There were also recitations, poetry, and even a puppet show. Tomorrow (it is a two-day holiday) we read the Book of Ruth, honoring all converts.

Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog) - Page 2 Img_0811

Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog) - Page 2 Empty Re: Bonsai goes to Church (and Synagog)

Post  Precarious Mon May 25, 2015 4:21 am

Great thread, thanks everyone for sharing. I once took a bonsai to an all-faiths devotional. It was placed in a corner with a lamp on it. People commented that it added a sense of peace to the gathering.

Iris I couldn't help but notice how your granddaughter honored you at her wedding. Wonderful!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed May 27, 2015 2:24 am

I took an Olive and Cedar of lebanon to a protestant church to co-incide with a sermon on a segement of the bible talking about pruning....Smile

was surprised at the interest afterwards as folks gathered around the examples to ask questions. so many didn't even have a clue what an olive looked like let alone a cedar of lebanon.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down