Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pyracantha Nursery Stock

3 posters

Go down

Pyracantha Nursery Stock Empty Pyracantha Nursery Stock

Post  moyogijohn Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:42 pm

Comments or suggestions??
Pyracantha Nursery Stock Bonsai30
Pyracantha Nursery Stock Bonsai31

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Pyracantha Nursery Stock Empty Re: Pyracantha Nursery Stock

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:29 pm

It would be nice if you could find a plain background against which you could put the tree for photographs. It's hard to separate it from the busy background.

I'm sure you have already noticed one of the major problems with pyracantha -- taper. At first glance it appears they you have a rarity on pyracantha -- a trunk with graceful movement, rather than abrupt and acute angles. Then you see how uniformly thick the trunk is almost all the way to the top, and especially just after that first bend.

The tree needs to be a lot shorter, but unfortunately I don't see a potential new leader where it should be chopped -- just above that first major bend.

Instead, I suggest you go up to just above that branch you wired and chop it there (red line), then push the wired branch a bit more upright and put some movement in it if possible, then let it be for a good while. It takes forever for chop scars to heal on these.

Pyracantha Nursery Stock Pyra10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:58 pm

Thank you AGAIN Jim,,,Do you mean use the wired branch for the new apex??? I will look at that right now.....Thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Oliver Muscio Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:46 am

Jim,
I know what you mean: I have been eyeing a pyracantha planting alongside my house for a potential airlayering, and almost all of what I can see has little taper and very abrubt angles...
Oliver

Oliver Muscio

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:33 am

O K,, Jim i am sorry i did not see the lines you made...that branches can make a new apex..i will try and post the tree again when it is cut to your lines ,,i think i can put some movement also...thank you john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:21 pm

They're troublesome plants. One shouldn't start on a Pyracantha unless he knows he has a lot of time ahead to let it develop. Nonetheless, here's one I've started this year. It too is much too tall, and through it has some taper, it still is unsuited to be more than a shohin it is almost 2 feet tall now). The red line marks where I'm planning to chop next spring. I had considered the green line but the angle is too abrupt. (There is more to the base than you can see here.)

I'll get several cuttings out of the top part, which is why I'm waiting until spring.

Pyracantha Nursery Stock 10-10a10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:55 pm

JIM,, I think that will make a really good tree...it will have a stought trunk and i am sure nice branching when you work on it in the spring..cuttings i have no luck with but you that know how to take care of themdo good..thanks for posting...john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Pyracantha Nursery Stock Empty Pyracantha Nursery Stock re-style

Post  moyogijohn Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:50 pm

Pyracantha Nursery Stock Img_0310

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Here is the new apex that was suggested..i think it looks better..comments please thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 pm

It does look better. Too bad, though, that there wasn't a branch lower down that cold have been used. That would have improved taper considerably.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Thank you Jim,, We went as low as i could go for a half desent apex..maybe when it fills out some,,it will be better..thank you for helping...john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down