Please identify tree species?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Please identify tree species?

Post  ogie on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:33 pm

Hello fellow member,
Can you identify this for me?Here our local people call it philippine hollie or commonly called "kuyos-kuyos"?am still wondering what its scientific name....thanks...Alex/Ogie
[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img]

ogie

Back to top Go down

Re: Please identify tree species?

Post  Reynald on Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:00 pm

hello,

mahonia certainly

Reynald

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi Reynald.
you have this tree in your country?it[s a bit thorny,right?thanks
Regards,
Alex

ogie

Back to top Go down

Please Identify

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:19 pm

There is a Mahonia philippinensis. My Oregon grape holly, M. aquifolium, sends regards.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Thank you...Reynald....Iris
Much appreaiate it
Regards,
Alex/Ogie

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  杰遨-jie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:24 am

i have a china girl(Ilex x meserveae) haha^^ is your holly a yamadori?

杰遨-jie

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:07 am

杰遨-jie wrote:i have a china girl(Ilex x meserveae) haha^^ is your holly a yamadori?

Yes sir,it took me a while to revive it,the wood are quite hard,very thorny but a good one,i was lucky to got the best twisted trunk

regards,Alex/Ogie

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  meganmatthew on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:06 am

These same plant in my garden. I have 't idea how to care it. It is very small plant, I planted it in small pot, I planted this plant at third time. Is there any idea of step to taking care of it?

meganmatthew

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie on Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:14 am

meganmatthew wrote:These same plant in my garden. I have 't idea how to care it. It is very small plant, I planted it in small pot, I planted this plant at third time. Is there any idea of step to taking care of it?

Hello Meganmatthew,
It needs a lot of feeding,full sun if you can,noy really much to care for it's a very sturdy plant,can you post and share for me to see,thanks a lot
Regards,
Alex

ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Reynald on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:02 am

hello,

yes in europe it's an ornamental plant with yellow flowers
I've got one in my garden
perhaps not the same variety

Reynald

Back to top Go down

Please Identify

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:10 pm

杰遨-jie wrote:i have a China Girl(Ilex x meserveae) haha^^ is your holly a yamadori?
To clarify: Mahonia, grape holly, is not a holly and is not related. Mahonia belongs to the barberry family. I have never heard of the hardy true hollies (or the hardy Mahonias either) being used for bonsai. Are there any examples?
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Please Identify

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:16 pm

meganmatthew wrote:These same plant in my garden. I have 't idea how to care it. It is very small plant, I planted it in small pot, I planted this plant at third time. Is there any idea of step to taking care of it?
Please be specific. Which plant do you mean, Mahonia or Ilex? Where in the USA are you? If you mean Mahonia aquifolium, our Oregon grape holly, it takes part shade. I suggest you plant it in the ground & let it grow.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Please Identify

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Oct 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Reynald wrote:
yes in europe it's an ornamental plant with yellow flowers
I've got one in my garden
perhaps not the same variety
There are several species and hybrids of Mahonia in France. They are all pretty much alike, except some of the cultivars have big flower clusters.
M. aquifolium has muscled its way in over there, and is considered an invasive weed. Here in the Northeast US, this species turns up occasionally and is well behaved. The birds eat the berries. There is also an eastern species, M. repens, but it is not as attractive.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker on Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:35 pm

You guys in the tropics really throw us a curve ball when it comes to identifying your trees.

Mahonias have pinnate leaves with opposite leaflets usually in whorls on the tops of stems like Nandina, another member of the barberry family (Berberidaceae). From your pictures I see zig-zaggy twigs with alternate leaves and a thorn at the node. Not a Mahonia, at least like any I've seen, but could be a barberry of some type - or in that family. Then again, this could be way off. Also, I don't think it's an Ilex - never seen one with thorns along the stem, just spiney leaves.

Is the wood yellow?

Russell

Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:14 pm

Russell and Ogie,

its Ilex asperalla.
bark is green to yellowish green in color.

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum