scale and or aphids...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:37 pm

hello all, I recently noticed that my hinoki and arborvitae have scale and or aphids...i did the white paper test and only one little brown speck was on the arborvitae I also turned my hose on full blast and blasted the branches pretty good...i have them away from my other tree's but they are all in the garage now till i set up my cold frame next week...if i spray it with a fungicide could it kill the problem?maybe? can i buy anything that wont (harm) me from home depot or something? my arborvitae kind of looks weak.. i hope you guys can see the pics clearly..my camera is not of the best quality^^ thank you so much everyone! good luck
jie~












Last edited by 杰遨-jie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : didnt know how to upload the pictures^^)

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:39 pm

oh darn it....i cant get the pics up

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  ogie on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:43 am

Spray soap and water solution on plant....put some slow release systemic insecticide on top of your medium,ANTS usually carry scales & aphids or i just defoliate the tree,it works for me,Hope it helps.

Alex/Ogie


Last edited by ogie on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

ogie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:50 am

DO NOT repeat DO NOT, defoliate your tree. It will die. Please don't give out this kind of advice when you clearly know nothing of the species.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  ogie on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:03 am

will baddeley wrote:DO NOT repeat DO NOT, defoliate your tree. It will die. Please don't give out this kind of advice when you clearly know nothing of the species.
Will...
I give my opinion base on my experience,I DIDN'T SAY YOU SHOULD DO IT....OKAY..EACH INDIVIDUAL HAS THERE OWN FINAL SAY TO WHAT TO DO

Thank you for the immediate reply...for i might cause problems to other
My apology,
Alex/Ogie

ogie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  Guest on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 am

Soapy water can work just fine but I think we need a better picture to help determine what it is we are going to treat.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:27 am

How long were the trees in the garage before this showed up?

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  JimLewis on Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:55 pm

I see nothing but blur in those photos. A soap (NOT detergent) solution -- 1 tblsp / gallon of water, with or without a tsp of alcohol -- certainly will take care of aphids. It will depend on whether the scale are adults or young whether it will get them. But I can see neither in those pics.

If you are going on the color of the leaves, many conifers change color slightly or more than slightly in the winter. That's normal. The white paper test is for spider mites; you won't get anything else. Aphids should be clearly evident; they move around and cluster at tips of branches. Scale are harder to see, but look for brown, white or greenish lumps on the branches or leaf undersides.

I'm not sure why these are in the garage. Thuja and Hinoki both should take temps much lower than you've had yet -- even in Minnesota.

_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:26 am

JimLewis wrote:I see nothing but blur in those photos. A soap (NOT detergent) solution -- 1 tblsp / gallon of water, with or without a tsp of alcohol -- certainly will take care of aphids. It will depend on whether the scale are adults or young whether it will get them. But I can see neither in those pics.

If you are going on the color of the leaves, many conifers change color slightly or more than slightly in the winter. That's normal. The white paper test is for spider mites; you won't get anything else. Aphids should be clearly evident; they move around and cluster at tips of branches. Scale are harder to see, but look for brown, white or greenish lumps on the branches or leaf undersides.

I'm not sure why these are in the garage. Thuja and Hinoki both should take temps much lower than you've had yet -- even in Minnesota.
my tree's are in the garage because of frost and since they were worked on kind of late i dont want to take any chances the first year in our MN winters^^ sorry about my photos,I have a cheap camera and i plan on getting a better quality one soon...As for the scale and aphids i only ran across the problem a couple times and had someone spray it with some poison...I dont like my tree's below 35 here cause our climate and winters are not the same as in the south even if the tree's can take it.... Yup its true that the color of the leaves do change on conifers around this time of year but usually that happens here once the weather gets pretty cold...my yew and some others get a purple color leaf... I wish my pictures were clearer so you could understand what i see... Shocked

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:29 am

ogie wrote:
will baddeley wrote:DO NOT repeat DO NOT, defoliate your tree. It will die. Please don't give out this kind of advice when you clearly know nothing of the species.
Will...
I give my opinion base on my experience,I DIDN'T SAY YOU SHOULD DO IT....OKAY..EACH INDIVIDUAL HAS THERE OWN FINAL SAY TO WHAT TO DO

Thank you for the immediate reply...for i might cause problems to other
My apology,
Alex/Ogie

hehe everyone has his own method right? i dont defoilate conifers^^ and in MN we shouldnt defoliate anything cause our growing season is too short....but in your country you have a longer growing season so your bonsai must do well there^^

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:31 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:How long were the trees in the garage before this showed up?

hmm they were on my patio when i spotted this.....sorry about my pics being so blurry^^ my camera is very cheap... maybe its not scale or aphids........maybe its spider mites...cause on the paper was only a couple and i just pressed it with my finger and smeared it...it was definitely something

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:33 am

will baddeley wrote:Soapy water can work just fine but I think we need a better picture to help determine what it is we are going to treat.
sorry about the picture.......i think it may be spider mites or something..hmm i will do some research .......i just got over a bad spider mite attack on my shimpaku and larches...i lost 4-5 larches

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  JimLewis on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 am

I suspect that if your trees are looking poorly it is because you have moved them in. Both those species can take temps to zero F (and below) -- even in pots. Even if they're in a new environment, temps of 35 or 25 will not faze them. They need the cold, cold weather.

_________________
Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  Guest on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:07 am

杰遨-jie wrote:
will baddeley wrote:Soapy water can work just fine but I think we need a better picture to help determine what it is we are going to treat.
sorry about the picture.......i think it may be spider mites or something..hmm i will do some research .......i just got over a bad spider mite attack on my shimpaku and larches...i lost 4-5 larches

I'd be very surprised that Spider mite would kill Larch in one season.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:24 am

will baddeley wrote:
杰遨-jie wrote:
will baddeley wrote:Soapy water can work just fine but I think we need a better picture to help determine what it is we are going to treat.
sorry about the picture.......i think it may be spider mites or something..hmm i will do some research .......i just got over a bad spider mite attack on my shimpaku and larches...i lost 4-5 larches

I'd be very surprised that Spider mite would kill Larch in one season.
haha maybe it was the poison then?haha~

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:27 am

actually the larchs i had were not very big or strong so i really do believe that they killed it along with the poison too.so i think that they killed them

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  杰遨-jie on Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:38 am

JimLewis wrote:I suspect that if your trees are looking poorly it is because you have moved them in. Both those species can take temps to zero F (and below) -- even in pots. Even if they're in a new environment, temps of 35 or 25 will not faze them. They need the cold, cold weather.


no its not because i moved them in....many tree's of mine are looking great since they have been in..even my winter hardy tree's...Yes both species do need very cold weather to knock them out (BUT)... this is minnesota,And this is the first year ive worked on them so they are somewhat stressed because i started late in the season..if you take a stressed tree and stress it even more due to extreme cold(even if they are winter hardy) what will happen? this is how i winter my tree's then the next year if they are looking good i will keep them out in their proper conditions^^ my method....btw my 2 tree's have been looking weak before i moved them...today they look better^^ its just i saw somethings that looks like some insect...maybe i was wrong Laughing in my area we dont need to worry about bugs too bad cause they are under control...i have not worried for years about bugs and didnt have any problems with them either.....this is really the year of a tiger HAHA!

杰遨-jie
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: scale and or aphids...

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:50 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum