Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai??

+2
Khaimraj Seepersad
Ravi Kiran
6 posters

Go down

The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai?? Empty The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai??

Post  Ravi Kiran Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:38 pm

A lot has been said over the years about Bonsai Styles, Shapes and the inspiration that nature has to offer. One starts off with the traditional styles of Formal upright, Informal Upright etc. Having settled and honed ones techniques in these traditional styles over the years, one tends to look beyond. Nature does not disappoint an ardent seeker. The Bonsai loving people of South Africa drew inspiration from the Acacia that filled the Savannah and created a new style called Pierneef Style. The name being a dedication to a great local painter who painted landscapes with such trees.

In my rather short bonsai journey, I have always and continue to be inspired by nature for styling my bonsai. I do this with no disregard for the traditional styles. I do have a lot of trees styled in the traditional styles. Having said that the great grand Oaks have held out tremendous inspiration. One such specimen is the Angel Oak of Southern Carolina USA(pic below). I have not visited the US but have seen pics of this magnificent tree on the net. One of the characteristic of such a tree is that the branches of the tree droop downwards and actually touch the ground. Bonsai traditionally teaches us that branches need to droop slightly downwards to reflect age but this is taking the same logic to the extreme. The apparent age is a visual delight.

The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai?? Angel-10

Having said that, I have styled one of my trees in such a style (pic below). The tree is about 15 years of age and in training with me for the last 10 years. The tree is Portulacaria Afra or Elephant Jade as it is commonly known.

The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai?? Jade11

Pls do excuse the quality of the photo. I understand it is too up close and in the face and I am lazy enough not to take another pic, at least for now. I am also both an amateur photographer . I hope the execution of the design inspiration is meaningful. Two specific questions

1. As a style is the Old Oak style suitable for Bonsai?
2. Can it be called an innovative style?

Do share your views.

Ravi

Last edited by Ravi Kiran on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:49 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Cropped the image - Thanks to Khaimraj)
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai?? Empty Re: The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai??

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Ravi,

do you think you can cut off a bit to the left of the image on your original image - the section with all the black and see if more of the right side wil be fitted in the image ?

You are allowed to edit your post , ----------------- and then preview before posting as many times as you wish.

This from what I am seeing - might - be included in the leaning tree style.
Height ?

I can't say anymore, without the rest of the tree.
If that is all you have digitally imaged - I would then like to say - Thank you.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai?? Empty Re: The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai??

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:03 pm

I think if you do a search here for "live oak" you will find some examples.

I've shown mine before (if you see only part of a tree, try clicking on it -- odd. Or, try control and roll your mouse down. odder.):

The Old Oak Style – A possibility for Bonsai?? 8-29-110
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Khaimraj - Thanks for the suggestion. I have done the needful. Trust this is a little better than the earlier image... The height of the tree is about 10 inches.

Jim - Thanks for the reply. Good tree. Refinement is pending. I am sure you have a plan for the same.

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks for the pic Ravi....that Oak is an amazing looking tree.
Jesse
Jesse

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Ravi,

from your image, I would say I like what you have, my only comment would be to see about tightening your clipping technique for tighter growth.

I only started to work with this shrub, last year and I am afraid I can offer nothing else. Apologies.

If you are truly trying to create a similar tree to the oak, I think you need a larger pot for a larger tree and a trunk of about 4 or 5 inches [ 10 to 13 cm ] with long heavy branches.

Easily done [ on another effort ], why spoil your effort. Just refine what you have.

If you have no ego problem see if you can talk to this gentleman, he would have information on how to refine your technique.

Jim Smith -
http://www.jimsmithbonsai.com/index.html
Portulacaria afra [ Ser. #0-0110 ] catalogue page 10 -[ keep looking there are many more to see. in the catalogue.]

Thanks for showing - got more ?
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:49 pm

Khaimraj - Thanks again for your comments. My adaptation of the inspiraton, is a variant and not a literal adaptation. Hence my design is what it is and I believe that it is almost done. Could try another one (open to other species including Jade) to have a more literal adaptation of the inspiration as suggested by you.

Ego Problem - Thankfully no. Did visit Jim's site. Good one with nice trees. However this tread is not species specific but rather Old Oak Design Specific. Hence trying to remain focused on the design. Shall try and see by giving the site another detailed look for something on technique.

Jesse - Thanks for your comments

Last edited by Ravi Kiran on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  bwaynef Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:27 pm

The Angel Oak is in South Carolina, near Charleston ...for all of you willing to make the trek to see a tree. (Seeing the tree in person, I can attest that its worth it, ...but I didn't have to travel very far.)

bwaynef

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:50 pm

Southern California or South Carolina ?

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:50 am

bwaynef - Thanks for the comments and the information.

Bugeye - It is indeed South Carolina and not South California. The error is regretted and corrected.
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down