Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RANT: (un)smileys

+10
John Quinn
Bugeye
Kev Bailey
my nellie
Stone Monkey
peewee1974
Hawaiian77
Smithy
ogie
JimLewis
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

RANT:  (un)smileys - Page 2 Empty Re: RANT: (un)smileys

Post  fiona Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:15 pm

Oh lawd, this is getting silly. Some clarity.

Jim is talking about the over-use of emoticons, not their general and sensible use which everyone has probably done to some extent or another, including me. Emoticons, when used sensibly, can be a good addition to posts and can as several people have suggested give a visual clue as to the tone of the post which may not be easily picked up from the words. But to achieve that the emoticons have to be relevant. That's what most of us do and that is a situation I'm sure we can all live with - whether we like the buggers or not. And I meant the emoticons there, not the posters!

BUT, of late there have been a few posts where the emoticons have been used deliberately to annoy or worse - to cause offence. It has been the graphic equivalent of swearing at someone and I myself have removed a couple of posts where that intent was abundantly clear. I am sure that every sensible-minded person on here would expect us as moderators to act if a poster let loose a stream of swearing and other extreme verbal nastiness at people. If he/she is hiding behind emoticons to do the same thing, I would most certainly act on it.

So, my take on this is simple - just as you would take care over the words you use, please also be careful with the use of emoticons. Of course use them to enhance a message. But don't let them be the whole message, and most importantly, please do bear in mind that just as words can be misinterpreted, so too can smileys.

I end with a quite amusing but cautionary tale told by a UK comedian about his pal who thought LOL meant Lots of Love and kept sending messages for which the LOL smiley was inappropriate - including the one which read "I was so sorry to hear that your grandmother has died. LOL"

Nuff said.

Now, PLEASE can we get back to some wee trees.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:21 pm

me childish? am I childish? Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Smithy wrote:
Can you clarify that this is a joke, or is it that you are imposing your style of posts on the whole community.

Would you like me to use an emoticon to do that? Or, do you have some means by which I could -- if I wanted to, which I don't -- actually "impose" anything on anyone here? I can't even make people show a little common sense!

You told me in a PM to lighten up and to get a life. I'm not the one who is getting my knickers in a knot over this. I've had 73 years of a life so far. I plan on another 73 -- if only to irritate the humor impaired.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:52 pm

Nah. This is too much fun.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:56 pm

On a more serious note, you can avoid feeling you have to use emoticons by actually thinking about what you want to write, writing it, then re-reading and if needed, re-writing it. There is also an "edit" button on each of your messages that allows you to go back and re-do something if you hit the "Send" button too quickly.

Try that. You might like it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:05 pm

fiona wrote:Oh lawd, this is getting silly. Some clarity.

Jim is talking about the over-use of emoticons, not their general and sensible use which everyone has probably done to some extent or another, including me. Emoticons, when used sensibly, can be a good addition to posts and can as several people have suggested give a visual clue as to the tone of the post which may not be easily picked up from the words. But to achieve that the emoticons have to be relevant. That's what most of us do and that is a situation I'm sure we can all live with - whether we like the buggers or not. And I meant the emoticons there, not the posters!

BUT, of late there have been a few posts where the emoticons have been used deliberately to annoy or worse - to cause offence. It has been the graphic equivalent of swearing at someone and I myself have removed a couple of posts where that intent was abundantly clear. I am sure that every sensible-minded person on here would expect us as moderators to act if a poster let loose a stream of swearing and other extreme verbal nastiness at people. If he/she is hiding behind emoticons to do the same thing, I would most certainly act on it.

So, my take on this is simple - just as you would take care over the words you use, please also be careful with the use of emoticons. Of course use them to enhance a message. But don't let them be the whole message, and most importantly, please do bear in mind that just as words can be misinterpreted, so too can smileys.

I end with a quite amusing but cautionary tale told by a UK comedian about his pal who thought LOL meant Lots of Love and kept sending messages for which the LOL smiley was inappropriate - including the one which read "I was so sorry to hear that your grandmother has died. LOL"

Nuff said.

Ah, at last an eloquent explanation from someone who doesn't need to use a condescending tone to request respectful communication on the forum.
Emoticons are not the only way to cause offence - name-calling, condescending judgements of other people's self expression and humor should equally be kept in check, whether someone has 40 more years experience of being so intolerant or not does not automatically earn the respect that this post has. I respect your clarity in the matter of how emoticons were used to offend in an underhand way, and some who enjoy the humor of positive use of them will no doubt be relieved that they aren't being judged so harshly and talked to like children.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:09 pm

.]

Last edited by Khaimraj Seepersad on Fri Oct 22, 2010 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Jim's a decent Guy, no need to cross him- Apologies to the group)
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:17 pm

BUT, of late there have been a few posts where the emoticons have been used deliberately to annoy or worse - to cause offence. It has been the graphic equivalent of swearing

Can we have a "stick it up your mo fo kin arris you mo fo kin mutha uka i'm gonna biatch slap that kin face o yrs" smiley Fiona Wink

Lol

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:40 am

[quote="JimLewis"]
Smithy wrote:

You told me in a PM to lighten up and to get a life. I'm not the one who is getting my knickers in a knot over this. I've had 73 years of a life so far. I plan on another 73 -- if only to irritate the humor impaired.

I feel now i should respond to this and set the record straight that it was Jim who started the pms to me and decided to get personal with me. I asked him why he didn't keep it to the forum and he said it wasn't the place.
On the forum i had kept it non personal but Jim now seems to want to try and get some brownie points now.
Yes i told him to lighten up after he said that the posts of myself and everyone else were immature.
I did not tell him to go and get a life, i just said if his life consists of worrying how many smilies were used then i felt sorry for him.
Twice on this forum Jim has banded about how old he is as if it earns respect, age does not automatically earn respect.

Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:48 am

Respect earns respect. And with wisdom comes respect and compassion, not age. Age is just a by product of wisdom, respect and compassion. If a man says he earns respect because of he's age, then he's respect is short lived. "READ MY QUOTE"!!

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:09 pm

To those of you who read my original (and subsequent) messages here and understood them, thanks.

To most of the rest of you, I apologize for bringing it up.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:33 pm

The gripe counter is now open.....the more trivial & banal the better.

As Andy has said "If you've only got the effect of a few smiley's on your personal demeanor to berate about then your a very fortunate person" and to quote you good man

Stone Monkey wrote: Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Razz Mad Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Idea Suspect Like a Star @ heaven What a Face Neutral Arrow No @ cyclops clown pirat tongue pig monkey cat alien pale silent rabbit bounce confused affraid Basketball sunny Sleep drunken bom cheers albino cherry santa rendeer farao scratch geek jocolor queen king study elephant flower lol! RANT:  (un)smileys - Page 2 290456 ThumbsUp Dance thumbs up Confused flutter eyelashes Bagpiper

Regards

Andy

Now what are those other IBC soapboxes Jim? Lets get them all out there, but please... if they are more judgements of others ways then I for one can take a pass.

The BBC did a great series called Grumpy old men, for me it sums it up, makes me want to remain a child forever... grow up... who would want to when it turns you into that.

Bring on the trees, pots and other more interesting things.

Matt

Last edited by MattA on Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:35 pm

I think this thread is well and truly dead now.

Let it rest in peace, or possibly pieces.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:18 pm

fiona wrote:I think this thread is well and truly dead now.

Let it rest in peace, or possibly pieces.

Apologies Fiona....

I dont get on here very often, tho most times when I do there is some bitch & gripe that has nothing to do with bonsai, pots or anything else except the differences in personal approach, opinion or ways of expressing oneself. For the most part I keep my mouth shut but every now & then.... the combination of bad mood from insomnia and the trivial banal content of some of the posts is enough to open it.

Matt

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:38 pm

As you (probably don't) say down there in the anti podes "no worries"
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down