Top-30 in Europe

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Top-30 in Europe

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad on Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:30 am

down here exhibits are aimed at John public and there is always an entry fee. As far as I know the money made goes to pay for the Society's running costs.
There is always a large crowd.

However, as is the norm, only a few will ever have the interest to raise and cultivate Bonsai /Penjing. It's more like going to an Art museum to view oil paintings.
However, I have always seen that as a natural situation.

The Society used to be run by two Chinese men, on this side the Chinese are more practical than philosophical or cultural.

I am not sure what type of Art Form, Bonsai / Penjing could be, since these trees grow in and out of designs and only images could keep them at their pinnacle, as an oil painting remains for centuries.
Not meant to be contrary, just wondering.
Stay well.

* p.s My post to your blog says Anonymous, because it was my first time posting to a blog and that was the only heading I could get the machine to accept. Apologies, it was not meant to be Anonymous.

Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski on Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:17 pm

Walter Pall wrote:This is not a virtual. It is for real. Now I know why there were so many people in the bonsai tents. It was hard to take photographs because the masses were moving you.

It is almost impossible to make a decent living of doing bonsai professionally as an art form in Europe. But it is very much possible to make some money exhibiting good bonsai. Or it looks like, at least. Unfortunately the money does not arrive at the artists. So far.

The overwhelming majority of bonsai exhibits aim at the bonsai crowd. No surprise they hardly break even. You cannot sell expensive bonsai to the general public, but you can very well show them. And they will come, you bet.

It's a very good point. Treat bonsai as an art - remove the Asian mystique and mumbo jumbo about display and the people will come to enjoy it. They may not want to work with them but they will pay to see them. I witness this every week when I visit our bonsai display at a local zoo. People enjoy looking at simply displayed bonsai.

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Bonsai event in Bolton

Post  Tony on Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:17 pm

I ran an event in the North of England 4 years ago, the driver was to ensure that the event appealed to the general public as well as the bonsai fraternity... it was advertised "Bonsai and things oriental"

A survey taken when folk were leaving the event revealed that 90% of the visitors had never been to a 'bonsai' show before. Some traders sold out before lunchtime and almost all participants continue to pester me to hold another... It was NOT in centre of town, it Was in a beautiful old school... Over 1500 people turned up and paid to see the one day show. 60% of the budget for the show was allocated to local advertising in press, radio and tv appearances... The event made money and everyone had a great time.

The lesson learnt? If you tell them... They will come.

Tony Tickle.. "that's not your real name is it?"

‎"Study me as much as you like, you will never know me, for I differ a hundred ways from what you see me to be. Put yourself behind my eyes, and see me as I see myself, for I have chosen to dwell in a place you cannot see." — Rumi

Visit Tony's Bonsai website

If you Tweet?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:10 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum