Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine

2 posters

Go down

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Empty Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine

Post  BrianLarson Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi everyone! Today I did some wiring and removing of superfluous branches on a Pinus Contorta, collected 2006. It grew a lot this year and seemed healthy enough for some initial work. This is a very large tree, as you can see from the coffee cup at the base in one of the pictures (that's a Venti Starbucks!). Future work will be to ramify and improve the branching, perhaps shorten and carve detail into the large jin and someday get this monster into a bonsai pot!!! Thanks for looking. I would welcome any suggestions for improvement...

~Brian~

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Img_3412

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Img_3410

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Img_3411

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Img_3315

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Img_3413

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Img_3414
BrianLarson
BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Empty Re: Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine

Post  Guest Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:18 am

Brian,

this is a very promising tree.
nice trunk movement. but if were my tree, i would removed or shorten the deadwood branch on the right side, then pull the branches down to compact the image of the pinetree-IMHO

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Empty Re: Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine

Post  tom tynan Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:16 am

Brian....

I would not make a decision yet about the big dead lower branch; you have plenty of time to carve it and make it shorter. I almost prefer to see the reverse side - so the broken lower branch/jin is visible. It is a beautiful piece of collected material - but the new top with that big curve does not feel right - the curve for me does not work with the movement of the lower trunk. I understand that you took one of the upper branches and wired it up to make the new crown - it also looks like it is going back - which I am sure gives you some depth. Not sure what your other options were before you wired it up - you may what to consider another viewing angle, ie. from another side. Good luck.....Tom

tom tynan

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianLarson Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:19 am

Thanks for the suggestions! I have been strongly considering shortening the lower deadwood branch. I've just been taking my time in deciding on a final course of action with it. The major curve is pretty much as it was before wiring, I just pulled it in a bit closer to compact the overall image. Perhaps another view might reduce the drastic curve in the upper part of the tree. It is definitely a work in progress....

Brian
BrianLarson
BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianLarson Mon May 09, 2011 5:01 am

Design is filling in a bit. Lower jin shortened substantially and some carving performed

Initial Styling of Yamdori Lodgepole Pine Img_3510
BrianLarson
BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down