Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soil particle sizes

+2
ogie
ddecino
6 posters

Go down

Soil particle sizes Empty Soil particle sizes

Post  ddecino Sat Oct 09, 2010 1:50 am

Hello All,

I have been reading all the forum postings and I am very impressed with the expertise and willingnes to share information.

I am very new to Bonsai and have been reading everything I can find, but I remain confused as to the best particle sizes for soil mixes.

Are the soil particle sizes detemined in relation to the pot size or the tree species? Or is it just personal preference?

Don

ddecino

Back to top Go down

Soil particle sizes Empty partcle size

Post  ogie Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:07 am

Hi Don,
as for me i layered my medium,bottom very coarse,midpoint half and half,and the remaining will be your prime mix of 80/20 with the later being coarse pariticle,i do that here in the philippines,never go wrong on that,hope it help a bit.welcome to the world of addictive bonsai.
enjoy & best regards,
alex Smile Smile

Last edited by ogie on Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spacing)
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Soil particle sizes Empty soil particle size

Post  ddecino Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:16 am

Thank you for the Advise, Alex

Yes, it is helpful. Do you use the same same particle sizes for all pot sizes and tree species?

Don

ddecino

Back to top Go down

Soil particle sizes Empty Re: Soil particle sizes

Post  ogie Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:51 am

ddecino wrote:Thank you for the Advise, Alex

Yes, it is helpful. Do you use the same same particle sizes for all pot sizes and tree species?

Don
yes don,a more loose medium always encourage root growth,downside of it,is you water frequently Smile Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Soil particle sizes Empty Soil Particle Size

Post  ddecino Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:20 am

Alex,

That is very helpful.

Thank you

Don

ddecino

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:05 pm

Overall particle size will depend to a large extent on the size of the tree. I grow small trees 3-15 inches or so. My particle size is about 1/8 inch on average.

Larger trees -- like most people grow can use the 1/4 inch size particles.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:42 pm

Different species need different soil types. Some relish waterlogged, some have to be free draining. Pines and Junipers hate wet feet. Willows, Alders and Wisteria etc all love moisture. Working out how to establish the correct root zone balance is all part of the fun.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:24 pm

Don
In general, smaller particles will hold more water than larger particles - (other things being equal).

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  ddecino Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Thank you Jim, Kev and Frank for your information.

It is very helpful. It seems to me that if the roots are not happy nothing else really matters.

Don

ddecino

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:58 am

This is determined by species of tree, and your growing conditions, and the size of the pot, and to some extent, your lifestyle.
If you have to go to work every day and only have time to water once, you will need a finer soil. If you are retired and have time to water small trees twice a day, you can use a better drained mix.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down