Scots Pine Redux

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scots Pine Redux

Post  AndyRutledge on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:22 pm

Of the trees I received from my teacher, Nick Lenz, only one was up for restyling this year. The scots pine needed to be taken in a compelling direction. I have tried to do that today and yesterday. Yesterday I plucked the old needles and removed some terminal buds. Today the tree got a wiring and styling.

Here's the material before any work (above). I initially thought this could be the best front. I was not satisfied with it.

So this (above) is what I thought would make a good front (and it was Nick's choice as well).

So the first thing to (above) do was to pluck the old needles and open up the foliage.

I then selected what I believe to be a better front, then wired an styled the tree.

And this is the initial styling of the material. I already see a couple of branch placement issues, but the image I was going for has basically been realized. The crown was reduced by about 3 inches (by wiring/bending, not by cutting) and the profile is a bit more dynamic.

AndyRutledge

Back to top Go down

Re: Scots Pine Redux

Post  steve05412 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:51 pm

Looks like it was a lot of work to get there, well worth the effort..well done Very Happy

cheers

steve

steve05412

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:47 am

Andy, lovely tree. Nice work. By the way, you must have learned a lot from Nick, because it looks like the trees in his books. I'm just learning how to style pines and seeing yours, really helps. Salut, Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum