Sierra Juniper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sierra Juniper

Post  BrianLarson on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:19 am

This is a Sierra Juniper I collected in 2006. When I found it, there were only a few skinny branches sticking up above the soil level and several other people walked right past it (lucky me)! After a little investigating I uncovered a thick muscular trunk connecting all the branches and some very interesting deadwood. After moving a few boulders with a pry bar, the entire root system came out completely intact Very Happy

I have done nothing to it since, other than remove dead twigs and clean the deadwood, and it has filled out a lot. I think it may be ready for some initial work in the next year. It will certainly be a unique tree Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I know these pictures aren't the best, it's hard to get a decent photo of such a dense tree...

This side shows the deadwood features best...

A view of the thick trunk...

Close up of deadwood section...

BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Sierra Juniper

Post  Guest on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 am

Another top find Brian. What do you plan to do Styling wise?

Back to top Go down

Re: Sierra Juniper

Post  Hombre on Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:24 pm

You are blessed by very good material my friend ,,,,,,,,,,,, cheers
continue the goog work and keep us posting.

Best regards.

Hombre

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianLarson on Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:55 pm

Thanks for your comments! My plan is to remove or jin the longer, straighter branches and wire the shoots closer to the thick trunk. I want to focus the viewer's attention on the dead portions and on the thick trunk that connects all the small branches. I think the style will be a slanting look, and the planting angle will change. Also, the lowest branch that it basically on the soil may come off, or become a jinned branch as well. I will probably be seeking some assistance from my teacher with this one. I really want to move it in the right direction. This is a very special tree to me ThumbsUp

Any suggestions from IBC for styling?

Brian

BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Post  anttal63 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:35 pm

Once again great material brian, that sounds like a plan, showing off the powerful base! i look forward to it! cheers

anttal63

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane on Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Another masterpiece in the making!! I've watched your postings. The material you collect is outstanding!! Are any of these for sale??

peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianLarson on Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:26 am

Thanks Peter,
At this point I don't have any for sale. I guess I'm pretty attached to my babies! Maybe some day I'll have enough material to offer some for sale...

Thanks,
Brian

BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Post  ybonsai on Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:25 am

great tree.
Can't wait to see the evolution of this one!

Best regards,
Yannick

ybonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane on Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi Brian

if you ever consider selling yamadori, this could be a great venue for it http://www.bonsaiforum.com/ I think you could do quite well considering the quality of the trees you collect.

peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:54 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum