Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Taxus Cuspidata Flowering

2 posters

Go down

Taxus Cuspidata Flowering Empty Taxus Cuspidata Flowering

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:07 pm

I got a taxus cuspidata last year which produced loads of "buds" which I though were for new growth for the following year (not knowing any better as I'd never had a Yew before). In the Spring I realised that it was for new growth but they were flower buds!!!!

Over the weekend I noticed loads more of the same and was wondering am I best to leave or remove them? I have not worked on this tree at all in the time that I have had it, just a light feed and water to help build it's strength back up as I was told that it had been a bit stressed in transit. Overall, the tree has grown well, put on loads of extention growth and also back budded so it must be happy(ish).

Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Taxus Cuspidata Flowering Empty Re: Taxus Cuspidata Flowering

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:13 pm

Normally I would not let a tree bloom if it weren’t going into a show where the bloom mattered. In the case of a Yew as in the case of a Pine, I wouldn't let it flower because that uses energy. Some people recommend letting one bloom mature so the tree will not continue to try to reproduce itself. I have not found this necessary on my Black Pines, I don't have a Yew. Sometimes plants will bloom as a "last gasp" to try to reproduce before they die. Hopefully that is not your situation.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down