Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus microcarpa questions...

+5
Ravi Kiran
bonsaikc
bonsaisr
Billy M. Rhodes
DreadyKGB
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ficus microcarpa questions... - Page 2 Empty indoor tropical setup

Post  MrFancyPlants Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Thanks so much for the update and setup information. It is very helpful as I try to tune my new setup. Have you ever had any issues acclimating the plants back to the outdoors after being in the hyper humid setup for a while? It sounds like you are quite familiar with the bonsai shuffle which could likely mitigate those issues.

To Billy's point, I wonder if you could cut out the top of the boxes and replace it with a clearer sheet of plastic (or maybe even saran wrap in a pinch) to let in some more light. You would still have the convenience of the rigid outer frame that could be lifted off. I know nothing compares to outside in the good old fashioned sunlight. I would also be tempted to try and get the light closer to the tops of the enclosures as well although I know that can be a logistics issue. Maybe raise the lower enclosures on blocks?

Pardon my suggestions as it seems your setup is working quite well for you. How long have you been using your current configuration. I'd love to hear some more about your previous iterations if you are in the mood to share.

Thanks,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Ficus microcarpa questions... - Page 2 Empty Re: Ficus microcarpa questions...

Post  nickalpin Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:20 pm

I think the original tree had some nice potential, the current state is nice as well. There are no bad trees, some just need more development Smile I love developing trees like yours.

What is the average temperature of where your tropicals are right now? If the temps are lower, brighter light won't make a lot of difference as they'll be dormant and won't be pushing new growth. If you're wanting to get some growth out of them, it would be worth considering bottom heat. Ficus need warm roots to push growth, and if the roots aren't using the available moisture you may get issues with mold/rot. Once they push growth, they'll enjoy some light fert.

nickalpin

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:37 pm

Hey,
So I have been using this setup going on three winters now and it does ok. Prior to using it I tested the light filtering potential of the bins and have seen no ill effect. Sometimes when the trees go back outside they get a touch of sunburn on some leaves but nothing major. The temp where they are is around 70-75F and the trees do produce some decent growth through the winter, but it tends to have larger leaves and longer internodes so I usually cut it back when they go outside. The biggest draw back I have found is the potential for fungal and bug issues, but this is the case with most indoor grow setups so you need to keep a close eye on things. I had previously tried the bag method and aquariums but for ease of use and best price I have found this to be the best. Also for taller trees it is easier to get a deep container.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:49 pm

DreadyKGB wrote:Hey all,
So I bought an inexpensive and rather ugly ficus retusa this spring as a tree for experimentation.

There's the key word alright ... "experimentation".

I've been working on an extravagant over, on, and through rock benjamina for years. About 10 years ago I chopped off the top (to build some taper) and tossed the surplus into the rubbish bin outside, early in the spring. Several weeks later I decided it was time to empty the bin and I discovered that the severed limb had rooted!

So for 10 years it has offered me the chance to test and experiment with wiring, defoliation, cuttings, layering, threading, etc. It is now the host of two natasha threads that I plan to "cut loose" next spring.

By the way ... that's good advice about the aquarium. I've heard people say that the benjamina does not aerial root, ha! Just a few weeks in an aquarium have made a lot of difference - and it DOES aerial root! I keep a relatively small opening at the top of the aquarium, though I don't know if it's necessary.

I also have a microcarpa that I've grown from seeds that I collected in Algeria some years ago. About the question of it thriving "in the north"? I live in Sweden and my microcarpa has had no problem thickening, and it's eager to put out aerial roots too - without an aquarium.

Enjoy your ficus! You won't regret it.

BTW: Is that a dog or a Thylacine in your photo?

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:08 pm

Hey Scion,
Yes it has been fun experimenting with this one. I also have a benjamina clump that I call my Frankenstein tree because I have grafted and chopped and messed with it so much. I have one that I grew from a small cutting that has really grown well over the course of two years and is almost an inch thick now. Oh and it is a picture of my dog, I had to look up a thylacine.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:11 am

DreadyKGB wrote:Hey Scion,
Yes it has been fun experimenting with this one. I also have a benjamina clump that I call my Frankenstein tree because I have grafted and chopped and messed with it so much. I have one that I grew from a small cutting that has really grown well over the course of two years and is almost an inch thick now. Oh and it is a picture of my dog, I had to look up a thylacine.

Todd

Three cheers for the family of Ficus! I see from your photos that you've got enough material to keep you salivating in excitement indefinitely.

A beautiful dog you've got there and looks like a fine, friendly temperament it seems to have too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2