Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paper bark maple - repost

3 posters

Go down

Paper bark maple - repost Empty Paper bark maple - repost

Post  moyogijohn Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:18 am

The uploaded wrong Smile here are the upright views Smile
Paper bark maple - repost Bonsai25
Paper bark maple - repost Bonsai26

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Paper bark maple - repost Empty paper bark maple

Post  moyogijohn Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:27 am

I AM SO SORRY,,That the pictures are turned the wrong way and for the double post..this is the stump I have been asking about..as it is now it is 32 inches high. what if anything can be done with it???? thank you very much...John

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Paper bark maple - repost Empty Re: Paper bark maple - repost

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:19 am

It should be planted quite a bit deeper in the pot. You really don't want see-thru roots -- especially arrow straight see-thru roots.

I think its nice looking. The right hand "branch" is a tad too thick, but I wouldn't do anything now. Let it leaf out.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:45 am

FIRST,Jim thank you for fixing my posting.. next i thank you for your comment...I can,t lower the tree now because right under the base they are a container full or feeder roots all white and long.. so you say to leave it be until the spring??? then I will find something larger to pot it in or should I DO IT NOW??? Thank you very much..john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:06 pm

I'd leave it alone now. Deeper planting is cosmetic.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:03 pm

THANK YOU, Jim I did not think i should do anymore..let it go through the winter.then worry about doing what ever it needs in spring..i do like the information from someone that has delt with everything.i wonder what anyone else thinks too...thank you john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:43 pm

John,
this would be a good bonsai. but either you fatten up the trunk first to have it proportioned to the good nebari, or shorten the tree to solve the big gap problem between the current branches and the nebari. if you would wait for new buds below the current branch line youl end up with bigger upper branch than the first branch. but for now bury it deeper and leave it until it the tree became strong again.

Smile

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:15 am

Thank you Jun for your good comment..The stump will be resting for a while now..it is autum here now soon winter .nothing will be done to it any more ..like you say i want it to gain strength for some time.. i am hopeing it will make good tree...thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:53 pm

JIM LEWIS OR ANY ONE,,,I sit and looked at this stump and saw the begining of knots right under where the long branches start..I Know I was to let it rest but l thought the new branches would be better comming fromsmaller stumps so I took sharp hedge trimmers and removed those branches..I have now 3 stumps middle the longest ,,right the shortest,,left oneis in between the two..none the same heighth...hope this will give a better start for smaller limbs to grow..this is long but wanted to know what you all thought.....thankk you john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Joao Santos Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

moyogijohn wrote:FIRST,Jim thank you for fixing my posting.. next i thank you for your comment...I can,t lower the tree now because right under the base they are a container full or feeder roots all white and long.. so you say to leave it be until the spring??? then I will find something larger to pot it in or should I DO IT NOW??? Thank you very much..john

Hi,

If it was mine, when right time comes, I would use thin mesh arround the nebari, peel some bark away of the thik roots and fill it with a draining soil and sphagnum moss on top to prevent dehydration. This way you don't disturb the feeding roots in the bottom and also provoque new ones.

In one to tree years you can repot and get rid of the botom ones.

João Santos
Joao Santos
Joao Santos

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:43 pm

JOAO,,Thank you for your comment about the root system..That sounds like it would work to get a lower base on the tree...there is a lot of work to be done to make this one even a tree!!!! thank you,,john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down