Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So just how good is HB-101

+19
my nellie
bumblebee
Mitch Thomas
najoba
Loke Emil
Bonsai Kas
graham walker
jamesransom
Carolee
Will Heath
Bob Brunt
mikesmith
landerloos
Dave Martin
Rick Moquin
Ashley
Klaudia & Martin
JimLewis
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

So just how good is HB-101 - Page 2 Empty Re: So just how good is HB-101

Post  mikesmith Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:39 pm

Seems like we are getting a common theme as far as Vit B1 is concerned.
I have tried HB101 but not noticed any unusual growth responses. However, in my bonsai circle there are some folks who have seen some positive results with HB101 but they agree it is difficult to isolate this to the use of the product alone.

Of course this discussion might not necessarily apply to all stimulants which should be considered individually.
The Biogold Vital quoted earlier has an ingredient 'Chitosan' that has been described as having a positive effect in plant health.

The Seaweed Extract stimulant has a different set of ingredients again and may be acting in another way also.

mikesmith

Back to top Go down

So just how good is HB-101 - Page 2 Empty Vitamin B1 source

Post  graham walker Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi Tony,
A possible source for B1 tablets to dilute would be your local home winemaking shop. It is used as a yeast nutrient to boost yeast activity in winemaking.(Not in commercial red wine though!!!)
This may also be the connection with 'veggiemate' which is possibly yeast based
Regards
Graham

graham walker

Back to top Go down

So just how good is HB-101 - Page 2 Empty Sceptisism

Post  Bonsai Kas Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:42 pm

I hear a lot of arguments that state because one of the big companies doesn’t make the same, or because there is no clear research that proves one way or another, it must be crap. I hear a lot of people badmouthing a product they haven’t used themselves. I also hear the occasional user who does think it helps but isn’t taken seriously.

Don’t be quick to judge, smoking wasn’t officially proven to cause cancer since the 70’s either. As a researcher I see a lot of “contradictory” research just because it’s not done or interpreted properly. I’m quite convinced Naphthaleneacetic acid (NAA) is a very potent additive, just like vitamin B1, humic and fulvic acid are, there is a mountain of research that proves so. I think these work for plants much the same as steroids do for us, biochemically they are pretty comparable in action. Just like with steroids for humans it does have drawbacks and you have to be very careful what you use, when and how much. You can get very muscular very fast, you could also end up with a pair of pretty ladyboobs and tiny nuts if you don’t know when to stop. I think these additives, especially NAA, can be detrimental if used at the wrong time. Most of the inconclusive research didn’t really take into account at which stage of a plants life these substances help or do the opposite and this makes a world of difference.

To me, a chemical engineer working for a big company, the big company argument is frankly quite naive. It’s these same companies that have no problem selling shampoo with pro-retinol or whatever, so the fact they don’t sell it actually means a lot. Usually it’s the big companies who sell snakeoil actually, just look in your wife’s beautybag if you don’t believe me, if that stuff really worked we would all have 20 year old looking girlfriends/wifes now….sadly, most of us don’t. Trust me they would do everything if they find out some little cheap product does the same as their entire spectrum of tricks and treats. Foremost they won’t start selling it themselves because it’s too good, too cheap and they can’t sell all their other (crappy) products anymore. For me the fact that these companies are so secretive about their mixes is a sign, I work in a chemical company and trust me, the things we don’t tell or even patent, those are the things our competitors would kill for to know. Also if a little company can exist for howmany years selling only their “snakeoil” with ridiculous marketing (if you can actually call the label marketing) I do think that apparently some customers keep coming back…

I for once would definitely trust in a little Japanese company before even thinking about bowing down to the big conglomerates who are built on selling sh#@t. I’ve seen how they work upclose and it makes me very cynical to realize I live in a world where what they do, the way they exchange dignity, respect and love for money, actually means success.

All I know is that some local growers of some famous Dutch kind of fast growing plant absolutely swear by Superthrive, they would sell their mother for the last flask if they had to. It nearly doubles their harvest, they even warn not to use it at certain stages because the plants won’t start blooming and just keep growing like crazy. I can assure you, these people aren’t the gullible easy spenders that you would target selling snake oil. I also know some Bonsai growers who swear by it. I do think it probably won’t work on pines or evergreens but only on deciduous plants that have a very distinct seasonal grow cycle because of the much stronger leaf/root back-and-forth interaction, I think this is also one of the reasons why people are so quick to dismiss it.

To conclude this post;
I’ve orderend a little flask of Superthrive and I’m going to order the same amount HB101 too. Luckily I just planted 10 nice beech yearlings on tiles in two neat rows for future Bonsai and clipped them all at the same height. I’ll grow one row as it is and feed the other row one half on superthrive and the other half on HB101, the poor/lucky one in the middle will get both. I’ll show pics in a year 
Bonsai Kas
Bonsai Kas

Back to top Go down

Post  Loke Emil Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:04 pm

Hi Tony

I trust HB101 to be very effectfull in helping establish healthy roots and supplying nutrients while a plant is recovering from transplant or collection.

I have soaked a small mugo, which suffered from root rot, after extencive root pruning and cleaning: result. The mugo survived and thrived from early on and made good back budding as well.

I also made a small test on sun flowers: 10 plantet as normal; 5 plants were watered in rain water, 5 others were watered from day one with water enriched with hb101. Result. Normal watering and no feeding: plants reached a higt of 50cm and small inferior flowerheads. The 5 others reached a hight of 3m and had very large flowerheads. The respective root systems were very different in size and spread.

I would trust this to help establish a collected tree. I used it on one of my very large elms upon collection. It was too good and the tree was very healthy and vigorous in growth by summer.

This is only my own experiments and results and should only encourage others to carry on making experimenting on less important material...before discarding or applying this product to their own measures.

Regards
/Loke Emil
Loke Emil
Loke Emil

Back to top Go down

So just how good is HB-101 - Page 2 Empty HB101 Trial

Post  najoba Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi, I just ordered a bottle of HB101 as a trial, and will post the results later. While I do have some bonsai, I am more interested in improving the immune system of daylilies. I have a lot of hydroponic pots planted with daylily seedlings, which are kept in kiddy wading pools full of water. One of the most critical daylily problems in the low south of the U.S. is how to combat daylily rust. I noticed a few of the seedlings are already getting rust spots. I'm planning on adding the HB101 to selected pots of seedlings and hope I will see some positive results, not only in terms of growth but also in disease-resistance. As soon as I see anything to report (pro or con), I will come back and post results. I understand it is used widely in Japan, and they are such expert gardeners, I'm hopeful this can make a difference.

najoba

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:34 pm

Kill Me, Kill Me Now!

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:56 am

Yeah, but what kind of soil mix do you use for plants fed on HB-191??

Dance Libby Dance

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

So just how good is HB-101 - Page 2 Empty Have you actually used HB-101?

Post  18436572 Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I came to this site hoping for more than anecdotal information of HB-101 which a relative suggested I try. I have not yet tried it, however, I find it absolutely fascinating, how so many of you "experts", claim that this product can't or shouldn't work. If you haven't actually used it, you don't know, do you? What this means is, your opinion is literally worthless. Let those who have used a product, chime in and either endorse or trash a product. Don't waste your time, or ours. In the long run, if a product does not work, ala "snake oil", people will stop buying it and will disappear from the marketplace. It's called supply and demand. If there is no demand, nobody will supply it.

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:19 am

Wellcome to IBC 18436572!

You are reviving a thread from back to 2012 (if you haven't noticed...)

In fact you didn't read carefully, because there are people who have tried the product and shared their experience.
For example Loke Emil, mikesmith, Dave Martin.

As for the rest who gave their personal opinion, that was based in scientific reasoning, one of them being a chemical engineer
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

So just how good is HB-101 - Page 2 Empty Moss!

Post  breck Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:55 pm

HB101, Superthrive, roots I tried them all on both ailing frees and transplants, results plain water and correct fertilisation gave best results I couldn't see any advantages /improvements in using the magic potions.
Now long fibre moss that does help on the soil surface, chopped up and incorporated into the soil or even as Paul Goff did just plant it in pure Long Fibre moss (LIVE) works a treat holds loads of water but drains well. One problems the weeds love it as well

breck

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:22 am

18436572 wrote:I came to this site hoping for more than anecdotal information of HB-101 which a relative suggested I try.   I have not yet tried it, however, I find it absolutely fascinating, how so many of you "experts", claim that this product can't or shouldn't work.  If you haven't actually used it, you don't know, do you?  What this means is, your opinion is literally worthless.  Let those who have used a product, chime in and either endorse or trash a product.  Don't waste your time, or ours.  In the long run, if a product does not work, ala "snake oil", people will stop buying it and will disappear from the marketplace.  It's called supply and demand.  If there is no demand, nobody will supply it.
Just because I haven't jumped off o bridge doesn't mean it won't hurt or kill me. I'm going by what happened to other people.
But,just in case I do have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  breck Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Used them all in the past togeather with Roots and I have never seen any signs of improved growth, roots or top growth. Now long fibre moss has made a difference Paul Goff planted anything ailing in pure moss nothing else , it holds huge quantities of water and drains well, I have also been told it is a kind of antiseptic so useful for root problem cure. It also increases humidity for the trees top growth

breck

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:35 pm

Bonsai Kas wrote: I’ve orderend a little flask of Superthrive and I’m going to order the same amount HB101 too. Luckily I just planted 10 nice beech yearlings on tiles in two neat rows for future Bonsai and clipped them all at the same height. I’ll grow one row as it is and feed the other row one half on superthrive and the other half on HB101, the poor/lucky one in the middle will get both. I’ll show pics in a year 

curious how this went... it has now been 5 years so it is doubtful you will see this...  Rolling Eyes
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:14 am

18436572 wrote:...  In the long run, if a product does not work, ala "snake oil", people will stop buying it and will disappear from the marketplace.  It's called supply and demand.  If there is no demand, nobody will supply it.
Right! Just like superthrive. Oh wait...
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:53 pm

coh wrote:
18436572 wrote:...  In the long run, if a product does not work, ala "snake oil", people will stop buying it and will disappear from the marketplace.  It's called supply and demand.  If there is no demand, nobody will supply it.
Right! Just like superthrive. Oh wait...

yeah part of that equation was people not buying it...

i will admit that i use a b-vit "thrive" type tonic when i repot, do heavy work, or have an ailing tree...

but i wont try to convince anyone else that they should
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2