Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

+23
Chris Cochrane
bonsaistud
Lone
stavros
Ravi Kiran
Harleyrider
Peter E.
Pavel Slovák
anttal63
my nellie
Tollster
alex e
ogi uyehara
Stone Monkey
sulrich
Andrei Darusenkov
John Quinn
Todd Ellis
Rob Kempinski
Neil Jaeger
Jim Doiron
ogie
Hans van Meer.
27 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 Empty Re: LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:11 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Hans
I have been looking at the photos of your departed tree more than one time, and every time it gives me a lump in my throat.
How sad.

Kind regards Yvonne

Thanks Yvonne!
I know I had the same thing every time I saw her standing in my garden. She was hard to avoid, it is a very small garden! Smile So I am actually a bit relieved that she is out of her pot and in a other spot in my garden now. It feels like some sort of disconnecting?! Strange, but true.
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 Empty Re: LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN".

Post  Chris Cochrane Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Hans... There are a few great spirits out there that keep bonsai exciting for many. I see Steve Tolley (writing recently on this thread) & you... and think of bonsai in an extraordinary historical period with international delight.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Failure is something we all experience, yet from this we learn and progress. To loose any tree is heartbreaking but to loose one of such magnificence would make many of us throw in the towel. The fact that Hans is big enough to put out this sad tale is testament to his passion as an artist. Show us your failures Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi everybody,
well it has been raining most off the time, so I was not able to take any good pictured of the second old Pine that died in the same way as the "Swan". This Pinus Uncinata, of more than 600 years old, was also repotted in late August last year!
Below: In 2001, I drove all the way to Switzerland to bey this amazing tree. This is the first picture of this old Pine in my garden.

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 11-01_10

But after a few months waiting in vain for any growth and because of the terrible soil that was used it was impossible to normally water the tree, I knew I had to act. So I started to carefully remove the top layer of the quicksand like soil by hand, to check if there were any root problems. My worse nightmare came trough, when I could not find any roots in the top layer. Or in the middle and not even at the bottom! All roots were simply sawed and cut off by the …… that collected it! It was no wonder that the tree was not growing at all!
I repotted the tree in a very loos soil mixture of large grained Akadama, Kiryu, and Bims. I placed it in a well protected and rain free spot of my garden and was over the moon when after just a few weeks the tree started to show signs of growth again in its foliage. That mend that something was starting to work under the ground as well! Well this old survivor just kept on growing and growing.
Below: August 2009. And so during this last fatal repotting it showed me a amazing compact pot feeling sets of healthy roots! There were even hundreds off these fine roots growing from were the trunk/live line touched the ground! Amazing!

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 30-8-210

Below: Nothing short of a miracle! This many roots out of nowhere!

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 30-8-211

Below: O happy days!

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 30-8-212

Below: In the background you can see the freshly repotted "Swan" in frond of my little photo aria in the back of my garden.

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 30-8-213

Below: This is one of my first virts ever. It is one off a couple that I made of how I envisioned the future design of this tree. I'm sure it could become a great Bonsai!

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 Septem10

Below: This was taken a few weeks ago. It was almost there (above)!

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 12-7-210

It was a few years further away from it's debut than the "Swan" was, but it had come fare from a tree with no roots or future. It's a shame that it did not have a future after all! Such a shame!

I wanted to share this old Pine as well with you. He desurves it so!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ed van der Reek Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:34 pm

Hi Hans,I feel my self very privileged that I have seen this tree's in real life in all there beauty.
I honestly never seen bonsai so good as this two tree's with such a elegance and very amazing old ancient deadwood on it,thank you Hans for sharing these tree's and the stories behind this tree's with us on the forum.
It's a great loss for the bonsai-world I think,that nobody can see this masterpieces anymore pale
Greetings Ed

Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:15 pm

A catastrophic year you have had Hans. You have my deepest sympathy and may future years be more fruitful and positive.

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:14 am

Yes, they will be!!!

There is always an advantage if we all learn lessons out of our own failures....
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:47 am

Sorry to hear these sad stories. We all experience losses of bonsai, and do not always know why they died. I lost several smaller pines planted into a forest group this winter. They acted like one of yours Hans. Showing good new growth in spring, and then slowly decayed and died during early summer.
I am surer of why though. The year before, in the winter 2008-09. I moved from my house, and was without a place to stay with my trees for more than three months. In the middle of winter time I had to let my trees be outside at a rented place, and a few of them had not any protection. I am pretty sure they dried out in the frosty winds that winter and paid the prize this spring and heavy winter last year.
Fortunately all other bonsai coped well, but the pines were probably too weak because they were transplanted the year before they were stressed heavily.
I hope you will find some good replacements for these beautiful trees Hans. I know you will, because you work hard and dedicated with your bonsai. Best of luck.

Regards
Morten Albek

Back to top Go down

LAST PICTURES OF MY MUGO PINE THE "SWAN". - Page 2 Empty Much respect Hans

Post  Marko Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:45 pm

Hi Hans, so sorry for your losses.

I've followed your blogs for a long time with great admiration. Thankyou for your remarkable bravery and strength of character to show these pictures. You've shown your an artist without ego and reminded us all that Bonsai begins and ends primarily with the tree, we only facilitate, this is a fundamental we should'nt forget.

Looking forward to your future creations!

Marko

Back to top Go down

Post  irene_b Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 pm

I cry with you for the loss of these two special gifts from Mother Nature...
Mom

irene_b

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:02 pm

...now you have a good pair tanuki project. Sad Sad
before you posted these second loss my eye is with tears for swan...and now both of my eyes are crying with tears.

i really am sorry Hans for your double loss. we will wait for a new masterpiece. goodluck

regards,
jun Sad Sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Chris Cochrane wrote:Hi Hans... There are a few great spirits out there that keep bonsai exciting for many. I see Steve Tolley (writing recently on this thread) & you... and think of bonsai in an extraordinary historical period with international delight.

Thanks for you very kind words Chris.
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Tony wrote:Failure is something we all experience, yet from this we learn and progress. To loose any tree is heartbreaking but to loose one of such magnificence would make many of us throw in the towel. The fact that Hans is big enough to put out this sad tale is testament to his passion as an artist. Show us your failures Rolling Eyes

Thanks Tony! It just feels better, now I have shown these old wonders of nature for the last time! A sort of a small tribute to the beauty of these two ancient Pines.
Cheers,
Hans,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 pm

irene_b wrote:I cry with you for the loss of these two special gifts from Mother Nature...
Mom

Thanks Mom! That's much appreciated!
Cheers,
Hans.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:08 pm

will baddeley wrote:A catastrophic year you have had Hans. You have my deepest sympathy and may future years be more fruitful and positive.

Thanks Will, so do I my friend, so do I.
Cheers,
Hans.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  BrianLarson Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:27 pm

Hans,
Thanks for sharing with us your loss. I think we have all experienced such things in our own collections. I greatly admire your work.
Best Regards,
Brian
BrianLarson
BrianLarson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2