Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing clever.

+7
MIKEB
Todd Ellis
kauaibonsai
Seth Ellwood
Kev Bailey
Mike Jones
bonsaisr
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Boxing clever. Empty Boxing clever.

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:02 pm

I was working in a churchyard about a month ago and spotted 2 Box trees on a huge Rabbit warren, in a derelict corner of the church grounds. I asked if I could have them and gained permision to collect. They were quite tall and had a small amount of buds on the trunk. I thought it safe to cut back the branches pretty hard.Boxing clever. Img_0732

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:05 pm

The other side and quite possibly the front is covered in small burrs. I think they are very old.Boxing clever. Img_0733

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Boxing clever. Img_0734

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:12 pm

The second one.Boxing clever. Img_0735

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Really good bark quality. It was suggested to me to dig them up when in flower, which I presume is Spring time. I have never collected Box before and would apreciate advice on collecting times and aftercare.Boxing clever. Img_0736

Back to top Go down

Boxing clever. Empty Boxing Clever

Post  bonsaisr Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Did you get permission from the ent or naiad or whoever lives in that hole?
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Boxing clever. Empty Boxing Clever

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 am

bonsaisr wrote:Did you get permission from the ent or naiad or whoever lives in that hole?
Iris

I did knock very quietly but there was no answer. I also left a small piece of Rhubarb crumble from my lunchbox. Fingers crossed eh?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:11 am

Has anyone lifted Box this side of the year, or should I wait for the Spring?

Back to top Go down

Boxing clever. Empty Re: Boxing clever.

Post  Mike Jones Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Will, they are hugely resilient. if you can get a large enough root mass and keep it tucked up nicely through winter it should really be fine.

Some years ago we dug up a few that were scheduled for the knackers yard, all were removed in Septober which was probably a bit too early, but they all survived.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Thanks Mike. These 2 are growing in deep shade and quite sandy soil. I htought if they were collected soon, they will have the chance of putting on new root before the worst weather comes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:17 pm

will baddeley wrote:Thanks Mike. These 2 are growing in deep shade and quite sandy soil. I htought if they were collected soon, they will have the chance of putting on new root before the worst weather comes.

It is a possibility Will, although new growth down under will be at best very minimal. I suppose it depends greatly on when the frosts arrive. do you use a Superthrive or equivalent when potting into a box or container? I have no scientific evidence to support but it works for me. Then again I have always done it so have nothing to compare too.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:36 pm

I remember reading somewhere, that root growth continues, even in dormant trees, above atemperature of 9 degrees centigrade. I dont use a root stimulant with collected trees and have a good success rate. Thanks for your help. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:40 pm

I've lifted lots of box bushes that I'd grown in the ground for thickening for about ten years. They all survived fairly dramatic root reduction and boxing up in spring. Can't see any reason why they wouldn't survive lifting in late autumn with some winter protection.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:46 pm

will baddeley wrote:I remember reading somewhere, that root growth continues, even in dormant trees, above atemperature of 9 degrees centigrade. I dont use a root stimulant with collected trees and have a good success rate. Thanks for your help. Very Happy

Below 9C is spot-on Will.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks Kev. I'm not due back there for a couple of weeks. Plenty of time to brush the cobwebs off my spade for the first collect in Autumn. cheers Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:51 pm

Will those are some fantastic specimens good luck with collecting hope all goes well.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Thanks Seth. Will post some pics when I lift them Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:33 pm

5 hours to dig the first one up. It was very close to a Sycamore and both trees roots were tangled together.Boxing clever. Img_0010

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Bagged and taped, I left plenty of soil on as it wouldn't be potted until today.Boxing clever. Img_0011

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:40 pm

Hole backfilled and tree ready for the van.Boxing clever. Img_0012

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:45 pm

I had to put it in the largest pot I could find. Planted in a mix of pumice,Acadama and sifted Pine bark. It looks a lot bigger now I've got it home.Boxing clever. Img_1015

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:50 pm

I have left the 2 trunks/branches long for now. This will need some serious carving in the future, so Im giving myself plenty of options.Boxing clever. Img_1016

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:53 pm

Buds are popping everywhere on the trunk. Have placed the tree in a sheltered part of the garden for the Winter.Boxing clever. Img_1017

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:58 pm

Excellent lift Will. That is going to be one huge carving project!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks Kev. I'm really looking forward to carving this one. With such hard and close grained wood you can get some very good detail. Couple of years to go though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next