Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ficus on the rock project all done now

+13
yogesh
ejay08
steve-thailand
moyogijohn
Cockroach
hirow08
Ume
Rob Kempinski
bonsaisr
Neil Jaeger
pongsatorn.k
Jerry Meislik
MACH5
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 Empty Re: ficus on the rock project all done now

Post  ejay08 Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Guest wrote:all sealed now. the roots and rock will stay this way for quite a long time now.

ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 Dsc_1018
whats that inside the thing you raph the roots of the tree ?

ejay08

Back to top Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 Empty Re: ficus on the rock project all done now

Post  yogesh Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Amazing .....
yogesh
yogesh

Back to top Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 Empty Timing of planting

Post  earthHeal Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:05 pm

Is it possible to do this radical work at any time of year on ficus trees? I have a similar tree, but I live in Canada, so it lives indoors in winter. It would be a good winter project if it won't stress the tree too much. Thank you for the inspiration.

earthHeal

Back to top Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 Empty Duration

Post  Tarek (from Lebanon) Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:12 am

Hi
Could you please tell me how long would you keep the tree wrapped before repotting again?

thanks for the showing the nice tree

Tarek
Tarek (from Lebanon)
Tarek (from Lebanon)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks guys for the interest in this little project.

I'll get a picture of the tree tomorrow if I can. And yes the tree and the rock is doing well.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:31 am

steve-thailand wrote:wow, what a fantastic project, i love it. i hope you don't mind if plagiarize that design, i've been looking for something dramatic to do with all my ficus and now i see what to do

can you tell us how you managed to get such tight, short radius 90 degree bends? did you wire it while it was still a twig or some other trick like clamps?

thanks

Thanks Steve.

Go ahead. Yes the tree was developed from small young tree and as the tree grows old, step by step the branches are placed in its position. In our climate It will not take that log to develop small ficus project like this.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:33 am

ejay08 wrote:
Guest wrote:all sealed now. the roots and rock will stay this way for quite a long time now.

ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 Dsc_1018
whats that inside the thing you raph the roots of the tree ?

It is just dried moss. It helps develop roots system and keep moist inside the wrap.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  amanluthra688 Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am

I tried u r idea and the roots have reaches the bottom. Though
The roots are thin . I will take about one year to get the bottom
And when reached bottom the roots will bulge.
ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 20131114
amanluthra688
amanluthra688

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am

earthHeal wrote:Is it possible to do this radical work at any time of year on ficus trees? I have a similar tree, but I live in Canada, so it lives indoors in winter. It would be a good winter project if it won't stress the tree too much. Thank you for the inspiration.
Sorry, I am so sure how to develop ficus in the cold climate. maybe you could ask Dorothy on the details. But I am glad the project gives you inspiration.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:40 am

amanluthra688 wrote:I tried u r idea and the roots have reaches the bottom. Though
The roots are thin . I will take about one year to get the bottom
And when reached bottom the roots will bulge.
ficus on the rock project all done now - Page 2 20131114
Nice! The roots will develop faster specially if you plan to wrap the roots onto a rock, if you let some of the branches (sacrificial branches) grow freely. but watch out if the lower branches are getting weaker, That is the time to cut back the sacrificial branches. and grow new ones if the main branches are stronger again.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:44 am

Tarek (from Lebanon) wrote:Hi
Could you please tell me how long would you keep the tree wrapped before repotting again?

thanks for the showing the nice tree

Tarek

Hi Tarek!

It really depends on the trees development and it may varies depending in your growing condition. But don't try to remove the plastic wrap If you feel the roots are not clasping the rock yet. One of the clues is by looking at the base of the root system, If it new roots are hard and strong enough chances are good that the upper roots are thick enough to hold the tree on top.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:48 am

Thanks Og and Cockroach.

People seems to be interested in small innovative projects. I've been working with bigger ones but involving the same techniques I learned from the small ones. I'll try to show them later and hopes It will help some people in their own projects.

regards,
jun Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  amanluthra688 Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Thanks jun 
Could u tell us about u r bigger  projects
amanluthra688
amanluthra688

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:56 pm

Jun,

Can you share progress on this tree please? Would be keen to see how it is turning out. I guess the roots are bare now, considering ficus-long in your climate is something like 6 months Very Happy
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2