Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ficus on the rock project all done now

+13
yogesh
ejay08
steve-thailand
moyogijohn
Cockroach
hirow08
Ume
Rob Kempinski
bonsaisr
Neil Jaeger
pongsatorn.k
Jerry Meislik
MACH5
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now Empty ficus on the rock project all done now

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:12 pm

IBC friends,
Hi. our project is done. i hope it looks ok. thank you guys for your efforts and lot of help.

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_0954

in the pot.

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_0955

the new concept on the rock

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_0956

how about this for rock stability

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_0957

and this-rock more than 8 kilograms with minimal adhesive...see next picture

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_0958

rock stable.(adhesive sets in just 5 minutes), ficus trimmed and roots all okey, all is set now. the fun part begins...

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_1010

oh, roots fits well!. i guess its perfect.

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_1011

almost done... background is muddy sorry.... let me add some more dirt...its just a background anyway.

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_1015

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_1017

detail on the base.

after the photo session the whole rock and roots with moss will be wrapped together with clear plastic to avoid dehydration ot the tree and drying up of hair roots. much of the lower portion of the rock will be under the soil.

thank you, this has been a fun project. will give you updates from time to time on this.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now Empty Re: ficus on the rock project all done now

Post  MACH5 Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:34 pm

Most excellent Jun. Terrific job and great way to secure pot with rock. My only wish is that it would have been planted in a super shallow, glazed oval pot or tray. Just my taste Smile

Thank you again for sharing with us your passion and talent ThumbsUp
MACH5
MACH5

Back to top Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now Empty Re: ficus on the rock project all done now

Post  Jerry Meislik Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:36 pm

Very nice Jun. Keep us posted.
Jerry
www.bonsaihunk.us
Jerry Meislik
Jerry Meislik

Back to top Go down

Post  pongsatorn.k Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:41 pm

Nice tree!..., I see you have cement the rock to pot. it will got problem when repot?. I think it is hard to remove soil from pot and root if it stick to the pot?.
pongsatorn.k
pongsatorn.k

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:50 pm

all sealed now. the roots and rock will stay this way for quite a long time now.

ficus on the rock project all done now Dsc_1018

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:02 pm

Pongsatorn,
thanks!
nope, repot wont be a problem my friend. just break the portion of the pot and leave some portion of the broken pot near the base of the rock , using it as the stand,(using angle grinder) and use the same technique all over again, it will easier because the roots during the repot will fused to the rock.

regards,
jun

MACH5,
thanks,
im looking forward for a nicer pot...in the next repot perhaps.

regards,
jun

Jerry,
thanks!

i will sir. i will.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:04 pm

WOW! i love how this tree came out. It inspires me to do more creative things. Keep it up.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now Empty Ficus on the Rock Project

Post  bonsaisr Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Wonderful!. What you have is actually what we call root over rock. This is a time honored style for Ficus, other than the cascade effect. Nick Lenz grows them on statuettes, so they look as though they are growing over ruins in the jungle.
With that big a rock, I guess you had to cement it into the pot, assuming the pot is disposable. For my own little rock planting, I have the rock wired into the pot, so it is stable but can be repotted without destroying anything.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Neil,

thanks.

share it here when you come up with some thing.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:25 pm

thanks Iris,

yes this is a 5 dollar pot, and what i used is harder than cement. industrial adhesive it is. and the pot will serve its purpose well, so no reuse for this pot.
i want to try something bolder someday...temple of Ta Prohm, ankor. perhaps...thats my ambition.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:03 pm

jun wrote:thanks Iris,

yes this is a 5 dollar pot, and what i used is harder than cement. industrial adhesive it is. and the pot will serve its purpose well, so no reuse for this pot.
i want to try something bolder someday...temple of Ta Prohm, ankor. perhaps...thats my ambition.

regards,
jun Smile

Looking good Jun. I like your thinking regarding the adhesive and the pot.

Did you leave the wires on the roots under the plastic? If so I'd rethink that as the wires will leave tell-tale marks on the roots. Green floral tapes works just as well.

I see you turned the tail of the cascade back to the rock. As the tree grows this might detract from the negative space - something to think about.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:31 pm

Rob,

thanks.
yes, i leave the wires under the plastic for now to hold the roots in the rock crevices, then i will gradually remove it as the roots stiffen in the proper places, just before the wire bite on the major roots.
il think about the right position for the branch and tail of the cascade.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ume Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:57 am

This looks amazing! Smile I have yet to tackle this aspect of bonsai, however, this Spring I am planning on giving it a go. Smile

Peace
Ume
Ume
Ume

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:15 am

Ume,

thanks.
go with it. and good luck.

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:24 am

Thans for sharing Jun.

I love it!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:35 am

Thanks.

sent you a private mail.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  hirow08 Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 pm

What a very pleasant tree to look at. Wish i have that in our balcony so i'll see it every morning Very Happy Very Happy
I wonder how much it would cost me to have such fine tree like that Laughing

hirow08

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:51 am

Hirow,

thanks.

The physical cost of the tree and pot is cheap- less than a 100$. but a good idea will make your composition priceless.
if you want, i can teach you how to do one (just tell me here if you have the time)...but you must keep the tree alive in a pot first for some time.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:51 am

Hey Jun,

I love this cascade ficus it is very dramatic. Is it still going or have you sold it? I would love to see it now.
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Hi Cockroach.

Sorry for the late reply, I didn't know this was my thread.

BTW, Who said I am selling my trees? I haven't sell any of my trees. I do tree trading, meaning I am selling trees for other people.

The tree is still with me.

regards,
jun:D

Back to top Go down

Post  Cockroach Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi Jun,

No one said you are selling lol. I assumed you may have sold it to someone as there was no update. I think you need a thread updating all your trees so I can stop my forum stalking of your tropical bonsai. 

Glad to hear you keep your trees. Let's see a pic as proof Wink
Cockroach
Cockroach

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:49 pm

I won't post any pic just to show a proof.
Ask somebody to confirm it for you. hehe.

...someday I'll post it, without any pressure.

regards,
jun:twisted:

Back to top Go down

ficus on the rock project all done now Empty Ficus on the rock all done

Post  moyogijohn Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:07 am

I really don,t know if this is a old thread but I would like to say i like the tree very much !!  one of the few cascades i have seen that really looks good... good luck take care  john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  steve-thailand Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:09 pm

wow, what a fantastic project, i love it. i hope you don't mind if plagiarize that design, i've been looking for something dramatic to do with all my ficus and now i see what to do

can you tell us how you managed to get such tight, short radius 90 degree bends? did you wire it while it was still a twig or some other trick like clamps?

thanks

Last edited by steve-thailand on Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total

steve-thailand

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:54 pm

moyogijohn wrote:I really don,t know if this is a old thread but I would like to say i like the tree very much !!  one of the few cascades i have seen that really looks good... good luck take care  john

You can see all the dates, when replies was posted, under the headline, on each reply Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next