Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bigtooth Maple with small bugs

2 posters

Go down

Bigtooth Maple with small bugs  Empty Bigtooth Maple with small bugs

Post  gax Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:02 pm

Hello,

I have a Bigtooth Maple (Acer grandidentatum) that I purchased from a nursery Mid June this year. I didn't want to transplant it right away but noted that it was in a nursery pot which wasn't the best. So, I just pulled the tree out of the pot and dropped the rootball and soil into a larger pot with good soil to rest until Spring. Well I've been noticing the tips of the leaves browning before fall so I took a look at the surface of the soil. I dug around a little and noticed a bunch of small maggots or bugs crawling around.

I've treated with a bug repellant etc. I suspect that the nursery soil is too moist, so I tried watering a little less. What do you all suggest? I thought maybe puling the tree out of the pot, take care of the root trimming and treat with bug repellant to the roots directly, and pray it winters well.

Please advise... affraid

gax

Back to top Go down

Bigtooth Maple with small bugs  Empty Re: Bigtooth Maple with small bugs

Post  JimLewis Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:56 pm

It's best o just wait 'till spring to do any repotting -- especially as it has been repotted recently. Just let the soil dry out betwen watering. It will not need much water during the winter, anyway.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down