Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juniperus Communis yamadori

+6
Hans van Meer.
Bob Brunt
Martin S
Hawaiian77
Russell Coker
jeffrey
10 posters

Go down

Juniperus Communis yamadori Empty Juniperus Communis yamadori

Post  jeffrey Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:55 pm

Hi,
I'd like you to show this Juniperus.
It is a Yamadori Communis.
This tree was excavated in 2005 in Italy

what are the possible improvement points.

(Sorry for my English)

Regards, Jeffrey

Juniperus Communis yamadori Dscn0613

Juniperus Communis yamadori Commun13

Last edited by jeffrey on Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
jeffrey
jeffrey

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Communis yamadori Empty Re: Juniperus Communis yamadori

Post  Russell Coker Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:03 pm

Hi Jeffrey.

We'd love to see it....

Russell
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:40 pm

Howzit Jeffrey,

That's a really nice Juniper. ThumbsUp I like the jin and shari and the motion of the trunk. Good job. Very Happy Very Happy

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:49 pm

Ah, and there it is!

Nice one Jeffrey, very delicate.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Martin S Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:00 pm

Jepp!
Great stuff. Call him "the dancer".
Martin

Martin S

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffrey Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:02 pm

Thanks for your response.
In the future I want another pot do you have a clue which one.
Regards, Jeffrey
jeffrey
jeffrey

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffrey Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:42 pm

I try to create a virt one of these two pots does anyone know where this is or may take any of you who can

[img][/img][img]Juniperus Communis yamadori Schcom10[/img]

[img]Juniperus Communis yamadori Schcom11[/img]
jeffrey
jeffrey

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Communis yamadori Empty Re :Juniperous Communis yamadori

Post  Bob Brunt Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi Jeffrey
That's a beautiful Juniper..I can't do a virtual but my personal preference would be the 2nd pot
Please keep us informed of it's progress. thumbs up
Bob Brunt
Bob Brunt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:00 pm

Hi Jeffrey

I like your tree...it has the same age as bonsai, as the shohin I presented in a topic from oct. or now.
Dont you think it is a very nice specie to work with?.

Kind regards Yvone

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffrey Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:23 pm

I find it a difficult plant, you must work between poses whenever you work with what he leaves fall.
Unfortunately this communis died this month. Sad Sad

[img]Juniperus Communis yamadori Dscn0712[/img]
jeffrey
jeffrey

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:08 pm

jeffrey wrote:I find it a difficult plant, you must work between poses whenever you work with what he leaves fall.
Unfortunately this communis died this month. Sad Sad

[img]Juniperus Communis yamadori Dscn0712[/img]

Hi Jeffrey,
it is by far one of the most difficult European species to keep alive! Hundreds were collected and many were sold! But even the best Bonsai Pro's, who fell for the amazing movement and deadwood of this species, had big problems to keep them alive! That's why you dont see them to much in exhibitions! So naturally most gave up on this difficult species, and only a few survived to be shown. Ask any one from the U.K, just how difficult they are! I have seen amazingly shaped one's there, but they did not even bother to look!
Some who did discovered the secret to keeping theirs alive, are blessed with amazing and unique Bonsai. Because this species has everything you could wish for in a tree! It is a shame that they have the nasty habit to just die for no apparent reason!
What I do know about this species: is that they hate repotting and dont like to much root work. The ones that I have managed to keep alive, are the only trees I have in my garden that are planted in soil mixture that stays wet much longer than the normal mixture I use. But I will only water them when the ground starts to dry up. Because they dont like wet feet's! But what I will do every day, is misting the foliage in the morning and late evening. This is from observing the location were I collected them. In Summertime it hardly rains there, but there is always a morning and evening mist that provides the moister for their well being! So I mimicked that from day one and they are still alive after almost 8 years.
They also dont like to much heavy pruning or constantly pinching! Wiring, just like bringing the branches into place, has to be don in one go! Carving arias of deadwood in to their live lines is asking for trouble! And you cant do to much of anything in one go or season! When you find the place in your garden that works for your tree, leave it their for the rest of it's days, because they dont like their micro climate the change! Take your time and remember that they are plants that need special treatment! But they are amazingly beautiful and a real showstopper if they are used to their live as a Bonsai!
Good luck with yours!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:06 am

Dear Hans Van Meer

This is a scary story about this specie....I thought it was a fungus who killed all theese trees, so Shocked .

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  LELE Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:33 am

I woul love to go live back in italy on to dig this sort of stuuf.....that`s a very nice tree
LELE
LELE

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:43 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Dear Hans Van Meer

This is a scary story about this specie....I thought it was a fungus who killed all theese trees, so Shocked .

Kind regards Yvonne

Hi Yvonne,
and yes that fungus is a other thing that kills them!
There is a enormous variety in this species. In their color and needle hardness. Even on one hillside you can find different forms off the same species and they all seam to react differently to our treatment! It might sound like a horror story, but it is a honest warning to the unknown. Just have a look at the collections of all the pro's in Europe and see just how few well established trees of this species you will find! And that is the best warning sign about just how difficult these beautiful trees are to keep alive and healthy! And believe me, they all tried! For years in a row some collectors sold hundreds off them and got rich from it! But only a handful survived!
But it can be don, because they are alive and well out there! It just takes some finding out what works for your tree!
Regards,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Dear Hans

Now I really hope my juniperus belong to the strong guys.....

Dear jeffrey

To help your juniperus, who has ben worked on a lot.... To keep the juices from the live parts, to evaporate through the shari part, is it a very good idea to use this fluid called " Holzharter" on the shari, it gives a "plasticlike" surface.
I bought it last year from Walter Pall at "Noelanders", it will immediate make your tree stronger. I saw it on my small shohin last year.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:02 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:..
To help your juniperus, who has ben worked on a lot.... To keep the juices from the live parts, to evaporate through the shari part, is it a very good idea to use this fluid called " Holzharter" on the shari, it gives a "plasticlike" surface.
I bought it last year from Walter Pall at "Noelanders", it will immediate make your tree stronger. I saw it on my small shohin last year.

Kind regards Yvonne

Does the "Holzharter" stay on the wood permanently? Is it comparable to the Minwax Wood Hardener?

Thanks,
dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Dear Dorothy

I dont know if it can be compared, as I threw out the emty container.....Please ask Walter Pall.

It is Walters who say it is "plasticlike "....I dont really think so.....When I paint it on, it suck deep into the dry wood, and you can apply many times, it does not gett that hard like plastic, and it looks natural, you can not detect it on the deadwood, Walter sels it as woodpreserver....It is me, who found out, it prevents the juices from evaporate through the shari......I used to hold the shari under water from time to time, during the summer, after applying, the live wien, who was very thin for 3-4 years, rapid became fat, I could see it from week to week....it was to me the proof, livewiens evaporate through the shari.

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:21 pm

dorothy7774 wrote: Does the "Holzharter" stay on the wood permanently? Is it comparable to the Minwax Wood Hardener?

Thanks,
dorothy

Here Wood Hardener is some info from Walter Pall about this product.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  jeffrey Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:35 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Dear Hans

Now I really hope my juniperus belong to the strong guys.....

Dear jeffrey

Kind regards Yvonne

Dear Yvonne,
I have been thinking about it, but I am afraid that is the natural look away
I will see if the sale is Noelanders.
jeffrey
jeffrey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Dear Jeffrey

You can not see it, or fell it. You can even apply jin as you please. Only fragile rotten deadwood becomes harder, but not at all like plastic.
Walter Pall is not paying me, to say this....this only because it works.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Ravi Kiran Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:11 am

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for sharing the pics of a beautiful tree.... cheers

Hans,

Thanks a ton for sharing your experience with this species. The challenges of this tree that you have shared are also the same here in India. This species is famous for its sudden death. A lot of members of our local club have lost countless trees of this species and have given up. I have been able to save the lone tree of this species that I have had with me for about 4 years now. Have almost finished its styling as a Bunjin. Thanks for the tips. In hindsight most of what you have said are the very reasons that I think the tree has survived with me. Though it is on the terrace, it is in semi shade most of the time. It loves lot of watering (possibly because it is in a place where water evaporates quickly due to sun and wind) and does not like heavy pruning. I mist it once daily when I water it and the story is so far so good.

The high mortality rate of this species is also a reason why nurserymen don't keep this tree these days here. When asked they say that this species dies often and is no longer in demand. Feels rather bad as this is one of the rare species that we get to try our Jin and Shari on which actually survives in our climactic conditions.

Thanks again Hans for sharing

Ravi
Ravi Kiran
Ravi Kiran

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:57 am

I just learned from ouer local danish Forest District, that Juniperus Communis also is know for sudden death in the nature...but if it startet up in a pot ( seed?), it will have a slightly better chance to survive.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down