slab

View previous topic View next topic Go down

slab

Post  bezmar915neo on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:08 am

Where can I purchase a large rock slab for 7 tree group planting. Been searching w disappointing results. I want rock not a shallow pot

bezmar915neo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:16 am

bezmar915neo wrote:Where can I purchase a large rock slab for 7 tree group planting. Been searching w disappointing results. I want rock not a shallow pot
Make your own from concrete.

Billy M. Rhodes
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  Guest on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:25 am

For a lighter option, try Chicken wire covered with fibreglass. Matt oil based paintwith sand in it will give you the colour and texture you want.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Slab

Post  bonsaisr on Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:31 am

If you can find the instructions for making a slab from fiberglass, it can be very realistic, less breakable, & of course much lighter. Around here, I would go to a stonemason who sells slate paving stones. (I once did) Dunno if they are sold in Ohio. Since they normally sell the stones by the truckload, they will probably give you one or two for nothing.
Iris

bonsaisr
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  bezmar915neo on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:19 pm

Well thanks for the advice. Thought about making one but I was concerned about how realistic I could make it. Ilike the fiberglass option for weight and durability. Slate would b ok. I don't really want it to look like sandstone if I mixed sand and paint. Guess I need to do more research. Very Happy

bezmar915neo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  Jay Gaydosh on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:36 pm

Go to your local rock "dealer". The kind that specializes in patios, sidewalks, retaining walls, ect. Every type of rock has difference textures, looks and weights. If you can find some, like they use at Chinese restaurants in their water features, they will be fairly easy to drill and lightweight. If they do sell rock by the peice, usually it is by the pound. Some are more expensive per pound than others. If they don't have what you are looking for, they should be able to order it for you.

Don't let them sell you something that isn't what you want, because they certainly will try!

Jay

Jay Gaydosh
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  bezmar915neo on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:45 pm

That's a thought......this is a bit off topic Jay but have u ever been foxwillow pines in Woodstock Illinois? ? I'm supposed to b attending a demo / conifer party. He has an enormous selection and is extremely willing to go out of his way to make u happy. I was looking for some JWP's for a different project and he has ALL OF EM. Anyways thanks. :-)

bezmar915neo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  Jay Gaydosh on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:40 pm

bezmar915neo wrote:That's a thought......this is a bit off topic Jay but have u ever been foxwillow pines in Woodstock Illinois? ? I'm supposed to b attending a demo / conifer party. He has an enormous selection and is extremely willing to go out of his way to make u happy. I was looking for some JWP's for a different project and he has ALL OF EM. Anyways thanks. :-)

Sorry, have not been there, but it does sound like an interesting field trip!

Jay

Jay Gaydosh
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  Mike Jones on Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:44 pm

bezmar915neo wrote:Well thanks for the advice. Thought about making one but I was concerned about how realistic I could make it. Ilike the fiberglass option for weight and durability. Slate would b ok. I don't really want it to look like sandstone if I mixed sand and paint. Guess I need to do more research. Very Happy

I've made two, one was an elm forest peaking at one metre on an enormous piece of Welsh slate, I was very pleased with the result. The other I made from fibre glass matting, resin and fillers and painted the colour I wanted to house a Chinese Juniper Forest Grouping.

Just a couple more thoughts for you.

Mike

Mike Jones
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  tim stubbs on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:11 am

If you can find it Bonsai europe issue 72 (1/2005) has article on making slabs the fibreglass way ,

tim stubbs
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  bezmar915neo on Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:40 pm

K then.......guess I'll try my hand at making g a realistic fiberglass slab.

bezmar915neo
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: slab

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:10 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum