Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serissa help

3 posters

Go down

Serissa help Empty Serissa help

Post  Dan32673 Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:16 am

Hello all just wanted some suggestions on my serissa i aquired it in april. Seems like no matter were i put the tree to make it happy it always has yellow leaves weekly,the soil is de,fertilized weekly,has morning sun and afternoon shade outside for now. Pictures are below let me know what you think of the overall health of this tree [img]Serissa help 03611[/img][img]Serissa help 03711[/img]

Dan32673

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:48 am

Hello Dan. The colour looks good to me. Serrisa are quite difficult to keep, as are any tree kept indoors. Serrisa was my first bonsai and mine only lasted for 6 months or so but lead me to the world of outdoor bonsai. Serrisa's don't like being moved about too much and your wise to keep it outdoors as long as you can. Getting it through the winter is the challenge.

Back to top Go down

Serissa help Empty Re: Serissa help

Post  Dan32673 Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:51 am

Ya it is starting to drop off here at night my pln of action is to start bringing it in at night ,the upside to winter here is i am also a finch breeder so i haave alot of light in my basement were it will live in the winter with my fukiens also

Dan32673

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:56 am

Interesting trunk. I suggest you thin out some of those crowded short branches.
Many serissas have a tendency to produce a few yellow leaves. If it is otherwise healthy, don't worry. You do have it outdoors, don't you?
Yellow leaves are usually caused by a combination of too much water and not enough light. Once acclimated, serissa likes to be in almost full sun at our latitude. Try watering less often.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:01 am

Dan32673 wrote:my pln of action is to start bringing it in at night ,the upside to winter here is i am also a finch breeder so i haave alot of light in my basement were it will live in the winter with my fukiens also
Don't bring it indoors until you actually have a frost warning. Serissa is a subtropical, not a tropical. It will do better if it gets some cold weather in the fall.
If you are successful with Fukien tea, you should have no trouble with a serissa during the winter.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan32673 Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:22 am

Thanks in the post that is listed about the dam fukien tea there are some pictures of one of my fukien that i used as a before and after example so i do have luck with them

Dan32673

Back to top Go down

Post  -Brent- Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:20 pm

For me it was the reduction in watering and leaving the tree in the same sunny spot that rectified the yellowing leaves problem.

But yours does look very healthy as mentioned above. As an extension to what Iris said, try only watering the tree once the surface of the soil has dried a little from the previous watering, and not by a set schedule.
-Brent-
-Brent-

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down