Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Aerial Circus

+2
Neil Jaeger
Rob Kempinski
6 posters

Go down

The Aerial Circus Empty The Aerial Circus

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:49 pm

For those that don't like aerial roots - close your eyes now.

This is a Willow Leaf Ficus Ficus salicaria that I call the aerial circus. It used to be a root over rock, but it's making so many aerial roots that it is mostly aerial roots. The pot is by former Florida potter Gus Miller.

The Aerial Circus 811

This was it in November 2004

The Aerial Circus 2007_110

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

The Aerial Circus Empty Re: The Aerial Circus

Post  Neil Jaeger Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Very nice. Looks like a jelly fish Laughing So if you leave those roots they will turn into branch that goes into soil over time? Get thicker and thicker? Or will it just keep making more fine roots?
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:50 pm

I do envy you being able to grow this species. Even here in the riviera of the u.k. i am not sure these would survive.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:18 pm

Howzit Rob,

Very nice. ThumbsUp Good job!!

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:40 am

Peter E. wrote:I do envy you being able to grow this species. Even here in the riviera of the u.k. i am not sure these would survive.

Certainly not outdoors in the winter but are supposedly very tolerant of indoor growth.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:45 pm

I love the tree, love the pot. I like the idea of the "Jellyfish". Where do you plan to go with this tree?
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Todd Ellis wrote:I love the tree, love the pot. I like the idea of the "Jellyfish". Where do you plan to go with this tree?
Todd

Good question Todd, It was more of an experiment to see how long it would take the roots to totally engulf the rock.
Normally I wouldn't leave the canopy like a "jellyfish" blob on top, but I sort of like the name so maybe the status quo for the next few years.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:54 pm

sublime716 wrote:Very nice. Looks like a jelly fish Laughing So if you leave those roots they will turn into branch that goes into soil over time? Get thicker and thicker? Or will it just keep making more fine roots?

Thanks for the moniker Sublime716. I like "JellyFish" - the rock could even be a jellyfish's prey. But how about Portuguese Man of War?
As for the roots, once they get hold of the soil they will thicken just like any root provided enough availability of food and water. Eventually they get large enough to self graft to other roots or to the trunk. Then the trunk will become one with the roots meanwhile the periphery of the tree will continue to make new aerial roots and so the tree could "walk" across the landscape.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:02 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
sublime716 wrote:Very nice. Looks like a jelly fish Laughing So if you leave those roots they will turn into branch that goes into soil over time? Get thicker and thicker? Or will it just keep making more fine roots?

Thanks for the moniker Sublime716. I like "JellyFish" - the rock could even be a jellyfish's prey. But how about Portuguese Man of War?
As for the roots, once they get hold of the soil they will thicken just like any root provided enough availability of food and water. Eventually they get large enough to self graft to other roots or to the trunk. Then the trunk will become one with the roots meanwhile the periphery of the tree will continue to make new aerial roots and so the tree could "walk" across the landscape.

Thank you so much for the info. It is a very nice tree..
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:16 pm

Rob,Are you able to leave it out all winter where you are?

Libby

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:52 pm

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:05 am

bumblebee wrote:

Rob,Are you able to leave it out all winter where you are?

Libby

Usually except last year due to global warming we had a very cold spell (don't ask me how global warming causes cold winters, maybe Al Gore can explain) and for that I had to move my trees indoors. This year I plan to make a temporary greenhouse.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:08 am

Sankofabonsai wrote:Rob I love all your ficus.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Sankofbonsai - I probably have over 50 ficus bonsai in pots of various size and species.

Here is one that started as a tubular piece of a cutting about an inch long by 3/4 inch diameter in 1999.
11 years later its in a pot I made by carving a chunk of clay.

The Aerial Circus 1710
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:40 am

Last edited by David Cortizas on Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

The Aerial Circus Empty The Aerial Circus has made a more

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:55 pm

Here is an update on the Aerial Circus Ficus aka "The Portuguese Man of War Jelly Fish". It's a Willow Leaf Ficus. I decided to try to make it more bonsai looking by giving it a basic branch structure down low and thinning many of the aerial roots that came from the very top of the tree. Notice how the rock is about 80% covered. (it's almost totally covered in the back of the tree)
It's now in a rather nice oval pot by Dale Cochoy, USA. The Gus Miller round pot will be moving to join a cool Japanese Black Pine over rock.

Before testing the pot on for size.
The Aerial Circus 2012_111

After defoliation and repotting with a bit of wire.
The Aerial Circus 2012_110
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down