Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed

4 posters

Go down

Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed Empty Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed

Post  styrax japonica Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:20 pm

I have just obtained some ginko seed which i am interested in growing into bonsai and was wondering if anybody has any advice on this topic??
styrax japonica
styrax japonica

Back to top Go down

Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed Empty Re: Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 pm

Keep them for sowing next spring. They need no chilling treatment. I sowed mine after scarifying them very carefully with sandpaper until the outer shell of the large round seed had been breached. Then just bury them in in damp 50/50 sandy compost and keep warm. A sunny windowsill, greenhouse or propagator. They came up like cress but very much larger! Pot them up into larger pots and carefully arrange the roots after a couple of months.

Once you have a few growing they are very easy to reproduce by cuttings.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed Empty Re: Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed

Post  styrax japonica Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:05 am

cant i just plant plant them as they are next spring without sanding them down??
styrax japonica
styrax japonica

Back to top Go down

Advice on growing Ginko biloba from seed Empty Ginkgo biloba (sic) seeds

Post  bonsaisr Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:08 am

There are many kinds of seeds that require scarifying before they are planted. This is because in nature, the fruit is eaten by animals or birds and the wall of the seed is thinned by the animal's digestive juices or the stones in a bird's gizzard. If you plant such seeds without treating them with sandpaper or nicking the seed with a knife, your chances of germination are much lower.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:21 pm

styrax japonica wrote:cant i just plant plant them as they are next spring without sanding them down??

It's not that much work. And, if you want the seeds to germinate . . .
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down