Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Styling of a mugo pine

+20
DreadyKGB
Pavel Slovák
Klaudia & Martin
stavros
Walter Pall
Andrija Zokic
Ed van der Reek
my nellie
63pmp
Todd Ellis
ybonsai
Hans van Meer.
anttal63
Nik Rozman
p@scal
Milan Karpíšek
rolandp
Rob Kempinski
Mike Jones
MerschelMarco
24 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Styling of a mugo pine - Page 2 Empty Re: Styling of a mugo pine

Post  MerschelMarco Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Hans,
normally i repot mugo pines in late summer but sometimes also in spring. Although i know you had a real desaster by repotting them in late summer i had no problems so far.
In this case the new pot almost has the same proportion of the planting set as the old one, so the rootball is nearly untouched.

regards,
Marco

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:18 am

MerschelMarco wrote:Hans,
normally i repot mugo pines in late summer but sometimes also in spring. Although i know you had a real desaster by repotting them in late summer i had no problems so far.
In this case the new pot almost has the same proportion of the planting set as the old one, so the rootball is nearly untouched.

regards,
Marco

Thanks for that info Marco! It is good to get important info like that at firsthand. That way I can get a good idea and mental picture how other Bonsai artist work/repot on there Mugo's and Uncinata's in there part of Europe! You can never know to much to take car of our precious baby's! Smile
And again, what a nice composition you got here!
Cheers,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:27 am

Marco,
This is a very dynamic combination. I like it.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:57 am

Marco, this is a killer tree! Great job!

Cheers, Andrei

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  MerschelMarco Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:53 pm

after rewiring and plucking the needles this is how the tree looks today. It still needs about two years to get exhibition ready.

Best regards,
Marco
Styling of a mugo pine - Page 2 Mugo4-10

MerschelMarco

dprm likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Incredible tree and wonderful artistry. Thanks for sharing it and the information about repotting it.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:26 am

MerschelMarco wrote:Hans,

regards,
Marco

I know the question has arisen and I am also aware of the disaster that struck Hans and the Swan, I am deeply saddened by this.  However:  I have been growing Mugos in America for more than forty-five years.  During the last thirty years or so I have been repotting them in the summer. By summer I mean any time after the 24th of June or so.  I used to have all kinds of troubles doing them in the spring, according to the literature, and I would lose trees here and there and have others take two seasons to recover to become vigorous again.  Once I started doing them in the summer I have not lost a single tree and most of them act as though I have done nothing to them at all.  I can repot up to the middle or August.  I remember digging a Mugo out of a growers field in the middle of August when the temperature was near 100*.  The tree just kept growing along as though nothing had happened to it.  However I lost the tree a year latter when I tried to put it into a bonsai pot in May for a demonstration.  I disturbed the roots so little I figured there would be no problem---I was wrong.

By the way: With all of the workshops and demonstrations I have done with this tree I must have repotted and potted Mugos of all sizes in the amount of perhaps 200 -300 trees in the summer.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  MerschelMarco Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Hallo Vance,

your experience is quite the same as mine. They stay inpredictable by repotting them, most of all old yamadoris. Trees with almost no roots stay alive, others, only repotted by not having the roots touched are dying.
Therefor my strategy now is to avoid repotting whenever possible.

Regards,
Marco

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

Post  kimo Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:16 am

any update on this?

kimo

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:29 am

To date I have found no reason to change the way I repot Mugos. I think that they may be a corollary between the stimulation of the roots and the top. I am still considering this anomaly.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:54 pm

I would very much like to learn about an update on this tree as well.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  MerschelMarco Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:38 pm

Hallo Vance,

unfortunately I don`t have good news. I made some mistakes caused by my own impatience. Allthough the tree seemed to be healthy but not very vital I repotted and styled the Pine. In my opinion the actions seemed not to be very drastic, but the tree showed me the answer by getting weaker every year. Last year (I did nothing to the tree) we had a very severe damage of hail and I was quite sure the tree will not survive, but thank goodness he did by loosing about 50% of its branches. Now I hope the tree will gain its vitality again.

Regards,
Marco

MerschelMarco

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Just don't try to bing it along with anything other than leaving it alone and slightly sheltering it.  I assume you have seen the story of my Zombi Mugo?  My Mugo looked dead for two growing seasons but it did not lose all its needles and the color just didn't look quite dead.  It came back.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Cronic Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:29 am

sad to hear that..
i had that happen to a pine also, 2 years ago it was damaged by 5cm large hail balls.. losing 60% of the foliage and 3 major branches..

i planted this tree in my garden and i'm letting it recover..

it looks like crap now because of the damages.. it was a literati.. so losing branches is hell..
soon i'll be trying to graft new branches into it

Cronic

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:10 pm

I am beginning to come to the conclusion through what many have said----and by my own experiences.  I would hold it to be axiomatic:  It is better to let the tree grow another year, beyond what you think the tree is telling you, (new growth, great color,) after you have inflicted a major assault on the tree in the previous year.  It is an easy thing to look at a tree that is just limping along and decide it is better to give it another year.   It is not so easy to look at a tree where the new growth has extended well, the color is good, maybe even better than when you did major work on it, and let it grow another year anyway.   When you have a tree that you are excited to work on and the tree looks good it takes a lot of discipline to walk away from it.  I lost a good tree once doing that. I would consider the major work in question are those things that involve the roots.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2