pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Sebastijan Sandev on Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Video part 2

http://sandevbonsai.blogspot.com/2010/09/video-walter-pall-jim-doyle-talking_23.html

Sebastijan Sandev
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  AlainK on Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:56 am

Walter Pall wrote:Jim Doyle from Nature's Way Nursery was visiting Croatia last weekend. In a tree inspriation (positive tree critique) he showed this combination of a Grobelny pot with a tilia. Jim thought that it wold be brilliant. He jsut loved these ptos and the way they could be used.
See more there: http://walter-pall-travelogues.blogspot.com/

I love these pots. I'm not always sure the combination of pot/tree is what I would prefer, but it's just like any other pot/tree combination, different people, different tastes.

Here for instance, don't you think there woul be a kind of "tanuki effect"? Not to say that I'm a kind of orthodox fundamentalist, but perhaps the likeness of the pot with the bark of the tree would suggest it is a part of the tree, whereas the difference would still show. Of course, the impression could be different "in real life", but do you see what I mean?

In other words, can't too much similarity between the pot and the tree lessen the "harmony" between the various elements?

AlainK
Member


Back to top Go down

What the?

Post  Guest on Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Religious war...End of civilisation? Not the intelligent, well reasoned and articulate discusion that I have just re read on this post. A tad over dramatic I think Walter. Evil or Very Mad

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Walter Pall on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:41 am

As of March 2011. The pot starts to get patina and looks more natural.





Walter Pall
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  tim stubbs on Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Walter , its looking good , has the buds started breaking on the tree yet ?

tim stubbs
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Walter Pall on Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Tim,

we still had snwo last week. The buds will break in about for weeks here. This now is the best time to work on larches. When one does it later the buds break . I took all the wire off today.

Walter Pall
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Rob Addonizio on Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:56 am

Walter,

As you know, I love these pots, and I really think that they have a definite place in the constantly evolving bonsai world. The shape works well, and the texture, well, IMO let me just say that it is truly inspiring. My only bit of criticism, if you can call it that, is the value (amount of lightness or darkness) in the clay body. I feel strongly that this piece needs to be darker and separate itself more from the tree. It would also help give it more visual weight, and better match the strong features of texture and shape. I just think that in these photos, and from the photos from your website, they seem to be too light, even with the added patina coming in.

Please don't get me wrong, it is just a change that I would make if it were my pot. What do you think?

Thank you,

Rob

Rob Addonizio
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Russell Coker on Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:14 am

Rob Addonizio wrote:What do you think?

Are you kidding me? Rob, I thought more of you. (yes, I "get" all that artist BS and stuff) I'm still not convinced this isn't a GIANT joke. At least I hope it is.

Russell Coker
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Walter Pall on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:39 am

Rob Addonizio wrote:

Please don't get me wrong, it is just a change that I would make if it were my pot. What do you think?

Rob,

I like the color very much as is. It is by design that one finds it difficult to see the difference betwen trunk/bark and pot/stone. They blend into each other. This is part of the idea. This is so different from what is generally thought of the combination of pot and tree that it disturbs so many. It makes them sick. Well, nobody expected that the general public likes this instantly. And nobody has to like it anyway.
Now a few will say that this is done to disturb the public. No it is done because I love it so much. And there are many who feel the same way. That this distubs a few is collateral damage and not my problem really.

A big problem of this tree is that it has lousy nebari. Placing it into this pot which seems a bit like a giant trunk overcomes this fault. It is actually not present. Here an image as I got the tree: reverse taper and no nebari at all.




Walter Pall
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Walter Pall on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:22 am

Hawthorn without foliage. The concept is the same regardless of whether this tree has pretty good nebari anyway.


Walter Pall
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  tim stubbs on Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:55 am

Russell Coker wrote:
Rob Addonizio wrote:What do you think?

Are you kidding me? Rob, I thought more of you. (yes, I "get" all that artist BS and stuff) I'm still not convinced this isn't a GIANT joke. At least I hope it is.

why should you think its joke ???

the ONLY reason i have trees in boring Japanese style pots it that they were the only ones available , otherwise i would use pots like this

tim stubbs
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Walter Pall on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:24 am

tim stubbs wrote:

the ONLY reason i have trees in boring Japanese style pots it that they were the only ones available , otherwise i would use pots like this

Tim,

you are a radical. I feel that extraordinary, wild, unbehaving trees should go into these pots which have similar properties. A nice, licked, well behaving classical tree should go into a classical sort of pot. Ordinary pots for ordinary trees, extreme pots for extreme trees.

Walter Pall
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:56 am

Walter Pall wrote:
tim stubbs wrote:

the ONLY reason i have trees in boring Japanese style pots it that they were the only ones available , otherwise i would use pots like this

Tim,

you are a radical. I feel that extraordinary, wild, unbehaving trees should go into these pots which have similar properties. A nice, licked, well behaving classical tree should go into a classical sort of pot. Ordinary pots for ordinary trees, extreme pots for extreme trees.

That´s right Walter
(....although you know I am not crazy about these pots :-) )


I still believe wild styled trees will look more convincing supported by a more calm pot (still not a classic pot) enhancing the beauty of the tree.
A question though? Is it not possible - or is it too time consuming an not realisable - to correct the missing surface roots (nebari) by roots grafting e.g.?

Tim. Your remarks are too far out. If you study Japanese pots just a little, you will find a lot of variations there. And European potters alike.

Best regards
Morten

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  tim stubbs on Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm

morten albek wrote:
Walter Pall wrote:
tim stubbs wrote:

the ONLY reason i have trees in boring Japanese style pots it that they were the only ones available , otherwise i would use pots like this

Tim,

you are a radical. I feel that extraordinary, wild, unbehaving trees should go into these pots which have similar properties. A nice, licked, well behaving classical tree should go into a classical sort of pot. Ordinary pots for ordinary trees, extreme pots for extreme trees.

That´s right Walter
(....although you know I am not crazy about these pots :-) )


I still believe wild styled trees will look more convincing supported by a more calm pot (still not a classic pot) enhancing the beauty of the tree.
A question though? Is it not possible - or is it too time consuming an not realisable - to correct the missing surface roots (nebari) by roots grafting e.g.?

Tim. Your remarks are too far out. If you study Japanese pots just a little, you will find a lot of variations there. And European potters alike.

Best regards
Morten

i know there are variations in pots and some japanese pots i do like and european pots of "standard" shapes but with far better glaze colours , Peter Krebs dragon pots i do like .
My trees will never get to exhibiton stands , its not my scene so i feel i can pot them in which ever i like for my pleasure

tim stubbs
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Guest on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:02 pm

i don't dislike regular pots at all, but i do struggle when looking for the 'right' pot sometimes. when i view my trees i like to feel like i'm involved in the small section of landscape i'm trying to create in my mind. pots like this take it one step further, by making use of the container to make more of the picture. i'm not saying i dislike traditional pots, far from it, some of them are works of art on thier own, but i do like this concept. makes me wish i had access to pot making facilities.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Rob Addonizio on Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:10 pm

Wow, I guess I stepped in it now.... Shocked

Russell,

No, not a joke. This container has the same merit as any traditional form, albeit a lack of historical reference.

With all due respect, I can appreciate where you are coming from. If I may, from what I have read and understand I see you as a traditionalist. Perhaps you understand the role of a primitive pot, yes, but find it inferior, or perhaps subordinate to a classical form?Afterall, isn't this artform predominantly rooted in classical traditions? Well, yes it is and it is regularly reinforced. How many times have we seen untterly fantastic pieces from galleries and photos in beautiful aged Tokoname ware? That being said, as long as there are traditions there will be those (artists) that challenge them. Hopefully if done well, these new alterations help to deepen our appreciation of a particular aesthetic.

Despite the fact that I disagree completely with the color of the pot, (no offense Walter), I totally agree on the effectiveness of its form. What may look totally haphazard and random, actually was probably given much thought. (Where to place the bumbs and curls on the lip, texture, etc.) These are IMO honest and worthwhile ideals in any container made for bonsai.

We really cannot compare this piece it to a traditional form, as it is like comparing two totally different art forms. Would you compare rap music to Mozart, or Sade to Schoenberg? How about paintings of Rockwell and Motherwell? I wouldn't. That would be foolish.

To say that you don't like something does nothing mean it is not good art. One of the most important credentials of good art is that it provokes a different realm of thought. It alters and/or deepens our sense of understanding.

That's just simple Art Appreciation 101..... Wink

Rob Addonizio
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Russell Coker on Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi Rob, and thanks.

Yes, I do like primitive pots - the namban type. It's just me, and I accept that. I find these pots distracting, ill-proportioned and flat out ugly. Art Appreciation 101 or not.

OK then.

Russell Coker
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Pawel P on Mon May 16, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi Everybody,
please look at new pots by my friend Mateusz. Have a nice view Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ePcfbRgWLo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYZj3LhmdY&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwtYTOx3p3s&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwP3j4yFyA&feature=player_profilepage

Pawel P
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  tim stubbs on Mon May 16, 2011 8:58 pm

i do like the first pot and the fourth very much ,i only wish i could get them to england

tim stubbs
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  gal on Tue May 17, 2011 6:56 am


Fraxinus ornus - transplanted in Mateusz Grobelny pot
http://gal-bonsai.blogspot.com/2011/04/fraxinus-ornus-presaen-u-mateusz.html

gal
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Jesse on Tue May 17, 2011 4:54 pm

I like cats and dogs I guess because I love a few of these Mateusz pots (a few are not a pleasing shape and/or color and/or texture)--but I also like the more traditional pots as well. Depends entirely on the combination...

The combination that you have shared gal is very pleasing to me--as are a few of Mr. Pal's. There were a couple I did not care for but most were great imho.

Jesse

Jesse
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Rob Kempinski on Tue May 24, 2011 2:17 pm

Pawel P wrote:Hi Everybody,
please look at new pots by my friend Mateusz. Have a nice view Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ePcfbRgWLo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYZj3LhmdY&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwtYTOx3p3s&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwP3j4yFyA&feature=player_profilepage

Did anyone watch the video of him making the wood fired kiln?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qhVcy82ZMs&NR=1

I can't speak Polish so I don't fully understand what he was doing but it appears he welds a new kiln for each firing and he does it in the courtyard of an apartment complex. The kiln design shown in the video is a work of art itself.
Any additional explanation would be appreciated.

Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  EdMerc on Tue May 24, 2011 2:50 pm

I'm stunned that this issue has gotten so many people riled up the way it has.

I think the tree looks great. It's different, but still obviously bonsai. I don't mind people stretching beyond the norms. Honestly, I'm a bit tired of the same old thing.

There is beauty in traditional forms. No doubt. But there is beauty elsewhere too. I see no reason for discourse.

And with that, I say Peace unto you. Wink

EdMerc
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  fiona on Tue May 24, 2011 3:34 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:
Pawel P wrote:Hi Everybody,
please look at new pots by my friend Mateusz. Have a nice view Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ePcfbRgWLo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVYZj3LhmdY&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwtYTOx3p3s&feature=player_profilepage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwP3j4yFyA&feature=player_profilepage

Did anyone watch the video of him making the wood fired kiln?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qhVcy82ZMs&NR=1

I can't speak Polish so I don't fully understand what he was doing but it appears he welds a new kiln for each firing and he does it in the courtyard of an apartment complex. The kiln design shown in the video is a work of art itself.
Any additional explanation would be appreciated.

It certainly would. Such sharing of information and insight would be a proper use of the forum.

_________________
"Espouse elucidation"
_____________________________________

my website

fiona
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Rob Kempinski on Wed May 25, 2011 5:48 pm

Bonsai is tree in a pot, eh?




Rob Kempinski
Member


Back to top Go down

Re: pots by Mateusz Grobelny

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:56 am


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum