Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rosemary

+15
D Chet
my nellie
Tarek (from Lebanon)
MichaelJ
Xavier de Lapeyre
john jones
bonsaisr
RKatzin
rock
bumblebee
stavros
Hawaiian77
JimLewis
AlainK
zooloo10
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

rosemary - Page 2 Empty Re: rosemary

Post  my nellie Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:46 am

Xavier de Lapeyre wrote:Tarek,
Thyme and rosemary are pretty sensitive when collecting them... ...
I have tried twice to collect thyme. No success, too.
I am looking for any tips because I do want to try thyme again.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarek (from Lebanon) Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:30 pm

my nellie wrote:
Xavier de Lapeyre wrote:Tarek,
Thyme and rosemary are pretty sensitive when collecting them... ...
I have tried twice to collect thyme. No success, too.
I am looking for any tips because I do want to try thyme again.
I will keep you posted Nellie if I ever succeed. You too please.
Tarek (from Lebanon)
Tarek (from Lebanon)

Back to top Go down

Post  D Chet Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I collected a pretty beat-up piece of rosemary about 6 weeks ago from our patio garden at work. It was 15 inches tall at the time and I was able to keep a root mass that was 2/3 the size of the foliage when I dug it out. I put it in a 5 inch nursery pot with normal potting soil, and reduced it's height and foliage. It's sitting in a windowsill with my Ficus retusa where it gets good sunlight all day long. It seems to be doing well and is slowly putting out new buds. As far a I know I haven't done anything special so, maybe certain cultivars of the species are more suited for a bonsai life-style?
D Chet
D Chet

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:27 pm

D Chet,

I believe I can agree with that. The first cultivar, which I have had for about 15 years or so. Does not respond. So I use it for cooking. In fact in trying to hard clip it's companion, same cultivar, it died.

I have two new ones, one grows densely, like a Christmas tree, and responds well to being clipped. The other is more prone to wiggling, and grows easily.
Will probably take at least 5 more years to see anything however.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Nigel Parke Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:04 pm

Khaimraj,

On our side I am aware of two varieties, one which blooms and one which does not. I have only tried with the ones that don't bloom.
My first attempt was a miserable failure that started with about three plants only one of which is still alive. I treated them like other plants and quickly learned how finnicky they were. Where I was living at the time, they had too much shade based on the size of the yard, in their new home the lone survivor gets full sun for most of the day but has shade in the morning and from about 4:00 pm onwards. It seems to be doing well, but it grows in the wiggly way you mentioned.

A friend of mine got some recently that are fairly large, so I'm on the lookout for larger specimens as the ones I had started as small stuff from a Nursery. At some markets you will find vendors from the south of the island (which is much drier) selling bundles of rosemary which indicates that much larger plants exist, its just to locate them. So that's the next mission........will show in a few years.

Cheers
Nigel
Nigel Parke
Nigel Parke

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:26 pm

Nigel,

good to see you in writing again!

On our side, the earliest stock of rosemary came from Paramin, a world up in the mountains of the Northern Range.
Everyone there, lives on a ridge facing the Atlantic ocean and a 4 wheel drive is the standard.
It is very cool and breezy in that zone. Try as I might, no cuttings from those plants would grow at a lower elevation.

The ones we are getting now must be from Miami, and not Spain or Portugal or France, as the ones from Paramin probably came from, maybe back in the 1800's to 1900's.
Anyhow, the new ones grow and maybe one type will like being bonsai-ed.

Paramin is where our green seasonings come from. You plant standing up and there is one Apple tree growing up there, if it is still alive, but no fruit, as far as I know.
Hey you want to lend us some of your mountains' height ? -chuckle.
Later.
Stay Well.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

rosemary - Page 2 Empty Re: Rosemary

Post  neveryonas Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:17 pm

Hello,

I am new to the wonderful art of bonsai and have many questions. I am playing around with Rosemary as it is a herb that I am familiar with. I picked up a marvelous specimen at a local garden nursery in Manitoba in early summer. It was in a 4" pot and was labelled as Foxtail Rosemary. I re-potted into a larger pot with the intention of one day turning it into a bonsai. This particular specimen must have been used as a mother plant, as the trunk is thick and scarred and almost looks like aerial roots. The branches are also thick and scarred. It is very thick and bushy with foliage.

Being in Manitoba, the hardiness zone is 3A, rosemary can definitely be tricky to winter over indoors. I have had success in the past years ago and had an almost two foot rosemary survive for about 4 years.

Hoping someone can give me some tips on this one as I don't want to lose it. The top is still very bushy, not growing very fast, but not visibly suffering either. It is the foliage getting closer to the trunk that I am worried about. Tips of the leaves turn brown on the undergrowth, until eventually the whole leaf turns brown and drops off. So basically, I have lost most of the leaves on the undergrowth.

I know Rosemary typically likes dry conditions, so I have been careful not to over water. I have it growing in a terrarium with an LED light and have checked very carefully for bugs. Not seeing anything.

Any suggestions on what might be causing the problem would be most appreciated.

rosemary - Page 2 Showfile.html?file=20131006_123600-1_resized
rosemary - Page 2 20131006_123600-1_resizedrosemary - Page 2 20131006_123614_resized

rosemary - Page 2 Showfile.html?file=20131006_123600-1_resized

Last edited by neveryonas on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : trying to add pics)

neveryonas

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Bonsoir,

From spruce to larch, not to mention maples, there are so many species that are much, much better suited to the climate in Manitoba.

Here where I live, even if it's in the ground, in a sheltered place, rosemaery is quite temperamental.

So, potted, and where you live...  Neutral 

Even from people in southern Europe (France, Italy, Spain,...) very few convincing Riosmarinus as far as I could see.

But please yiourself: I'm sure some even have carmona and ficus in Canadi...  Wink 
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  ferdy-san Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Hello friends, i am very happy, that someone brought this subject up as i have in my garden a beautifull rosemary thought to be around 90 years old, and i am planning collecting it in the near future, but now i realize it is going to be hard risky, and so it will be worth wayting a little longer and get a heated bed and misting system installed in the green house first, here is a picture of the tree...

rosemary - Page 2 2ir135i

rosemary - Page 2 Bdl5c4

ferdy-san

Back to top Go down

Post  neveryonas Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:41 am

Oh yes, and I have larch (we call them tamarack),elms,maples and juniper wintering over outside. Want to play inside during these cold winter months. Smile
Rosemary is one of my favorite herbs and thought I would give it a go!

neveryonas

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Anyone tried - an airlayer or - grafting roots or another younger plant onto an old rosemary?
Less risk than digging up ???
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

rosemary - Page 2 Empty age of rosemary :)

Post  Tarek (from Lebanon) Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:20 am

[quote="ferdy-san"]Hello friends, i am very happy, that someone brought this subject up as i have in my garden a beautifull rosemary thought to be around 90 years old, and i am planning collecting it in the near future, but now i realize it is going to be hard risky, and so it will be worth wayting a little longer and get a heated bed and misting system installed in the green house first, here is a picture of the tree...

Hi,
Can Rosemaries live up to 90 yrs?  I thought that their life span is around 15-20.  
Tarek
Tarek (from Lebanon)
Tarek (from Lebanon)

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:54 am

Tarek,

I checked with Marcus Watts, and he was supposed to ask a friend who has a beautiful bonsai, still waiting for the friend's response, but Marcus says his rosemary are about 70 years old.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  ferdy-san Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:03 am

The aproximate age of this rosemary was confirmed to me by my next door neighbour, wich is 94 years old, my house was part of his estate, and he can remember about the history of each and every one plant and tree in the grounds, and this one was planted by his father, who grew it from a cutting, it is fascinating how he can remember such details and not remember what he had for dinner yesterday,lol.

ferdy-san

Back to top Go down

Post  Tarek (from Lebanon) Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:53 am

Thank you Khaimraj and Ferdy-san for the info. It is weird how many websites says that the lifespan of resemaries are much different than
the real one as you guys indicated.
I guess I should go directly to the experts from now on.

Tarek
Tarek (from Lebanon)
Tarek (from Lebanon)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2