Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi

5 posters

Go down

Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi Empty Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi

Post  NeilDellinger Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:15 pm

I'd like to share just a general note with the forum regarding this book. Also a thank you to Bill Valavanis for offering this on his website. I was fortunate in that my wife purchased this book as a birthday present for me this year. Yes, I am a lucky guy to have such a wife!!

I am very pleased with the materials and overall quality of the book. The photography is exceptional. The book is formatted into chapters based upon the seasons. For me, this helps to convey some sense/sensitivity of the display intended by Mr. Kobayashi. In this way it is a great learning tool for those that take the time to thoroughly take in the many pages of wonderful compositions (stands, stones, pots, trees, scrolls & other items). So, while it may seem expensive to some, it easily brings its full value as a reference and as casual reading for enjoyment.

Regards,
Neil

Heres a pic of the cover and a link.

http://www.internationalbonsai.com/page/1442819
Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi KOBAYASHI%20COVER%20web

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi Empty Re: Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi

Post  Andrija Zokic Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:37 pm

I have that book. Excellent purchase, although it is not cheap.
Andrija Zokic
Andrija Zokic

Back to top Go down

Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi Empty Re: Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi

Post  Matija Triglav Tijek Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:40 pm

didn't saw so many books about bonsai, but that one gave me a lot!!!

Matija Triglav Tijek

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:59 pm

Neil,

Indeed, this is a good book. It has many trees, including some belonging to clients of MR. Kobayashi. On another note, two (2) more volumes will be published, one (1) covering antique pots and another for suiseki.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis

jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:38 pm

Yes, the book is excellent and inspirational for those who appreciate classical bonsai and distinctive bonsai display.

Mr. Kobayashi printed 5,000 copies and is nearly out of them! In November 2008 my tour concluded with a special two day bonsai seminar with Mr. Kobayashi in his garden museum. During our lunch his books were delivered and my group helped unload the truck full of books. I say my tour because I was not allowed to lift because of my healing foot. The other foot is now broken since May....

Here is a photo of the cheap imported migrant workers unloading the books. Julian Adams (Adams Bonsai and pine authority) can be seen in the center with the hat.

I'm looking forward to the next two volumes of the set. Volume 2 on suiseki is nearly completed.

Bill

Review of New Book: The World of Bonsai Artist Kunio Kobayashi Unload11

Last edited by Kev Bailey on Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Swapped thumbnail for full sized image)
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Thats great to hear that two more volumes will be published. Especially that they will focus on pots and suiseki. There is so much more to the first book than just the trees.

Bill,
Will your tour this coming year also spend that much time with Mr. Kobayashi? I'd intended to go 2 years ago but was unable to do so. I am planning on making the trip with your group in 2011. Hopefully your foot will be in good shape.

Thanks again,
Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down