Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cork Bark Elm - Yellow Leaves with Black Spots

3 posters

Go down

Cork Bark Elm - Yellow Leaves with Black Spots Empty Cork Bark Elm - Yellow Leaves with Black Spots

Post  toy4x4 Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:11 am

I have a cork bark elm and have notice I few a few leaves that will turn yellow and have black spots on them before they drop off.

Any thoughts? I can provide more information if needed.
toy4x4
toy4x4

Back to top Go down

Cork Bark Elm - Yellow Leaves with Black Spots Empty Re: Cork Bark Elm - Yellow Leaves with Black Spots

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:32 am

Terry,
Black spot. Happens to every elm in Oklahoma right now. Its the humidity. You can water, then apply bayer rose pride. Follow the directions. I have also used orthene rose disease control. The chemical in it is called triforine. I use that every other week and alternate with immunox (brand name). Any of those will work for you. Just hit the leaves and drench the roots in the evening after dark for a couple of weeks.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Cork Bark Elm - Yellow Leaves with Black Spots Empty Re: Cork Bark Elm - Yellow Leaves with Black Spots

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:46 pm

Or, don't bother.

Summer's a movin' on (to paraphrase an olde English ballad). The leaves on our trees are starting to feel their age, wondering if its worth hanging on for a few more weeks or months.

In mid to late summer and into early fall, if you obsess at every yellow leaf or leaf spot or brown patch, you will worry yourself into a blue funk.

Pick 'em off and let the tree make new ones, if it will. It's an elm. They love black spots. No biggie.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  toy4x4 Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Thanks guys. Just making sure I did not have a pest problem.

And I'll make sure to go to the right forum next time... Smile
toy4x4
toy4x4

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Terry,
You do have a fungus. Fungus should be treated. Yellow and dropping is heat. Yellow with black spots is a fungus.

Jim,
In Tulsa we will start seeing another growth push in early September. Not treating blackspot in our heat and humidity will be detrimental, especially if the tree is heat stressed. If untreated and it gets worse Blackspot infects the new growth after its starts pushing in the early fall.

Not sure what your cork barks look like in your geography, but here we normally treat the fungus. To each his own. I usually don't entertain fungus and bugs too long.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:47 pm

I only have one elm (don't like 'em much), but I usually just pick and destroy affected leaves when I find them at the end of summer.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:26 am

Well then there you have it.

Terry,
If you need it, I have a bit of fungicide. You're welcome to it. I can show you how to apply it. Just let me know, you're always welcome to stop by.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down