Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Herb Gustafson

3 posters

Go down

Herb Gustafson Empty Herb Gustafson

Post  JimLewis Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:25 pm

I was rummaging though my bonsai Library today sorting out books on mini-bonsai (I'm giving a program on the leetle ones next Sunday) and came across Herb Gustafson's "Miniature Bonsai."

Herb was an early member of the old IBC when it was just an e-mail list, then he did an on-line tutorial on making a juniper bonsai for us. About a dozen of us took part, exchanging photos of the trees as we went on. It took 6-7 weeks as I recall.

We had the text Herb put together for the class as a feature in our "Knowledge Base" in the IBC that immediately preceded this one (and before that, too, if I recall), and hope to have it up again sometime "soon."

Anyway, I haven't heard of Herb for some time. I recall him attending ABS (or BCI) meetings in his Viking's helmet, and have shared a beer or two with him. Last I heard, he wasn't well, but that was 2-3 years ago.

I did a cursory web search and found no bad news -- but no recent news, either.

Anyone have any info?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Herb Gustafson Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:17 pm

A brief update. True, I'm not well, but I have stabilized once my doctor came up with a correct diagnosis and treatment. Turns out I have peripheral neuropathy caused by too many dangerous occupational substances: agent orange, plutonium, iodine 131, deuterium etc..
No military benefits because of civilian exposure as well.
I am a choir director in a local Lutheran church. I continue to write; I just finished a 700 page Novel to be published soon. In it, a few pages are spent describing the hero, Hal, teaching bonsai to a Benedictine Monk who has taken a vow of silence. (why not?) I have taken up composing music as well. I especially am drawn to sacred choral music and I am well into writing a Requiem Mass. (hope that's not bad luck)
This week, I sang the solos for five latin masses, by Mozart, Durrufle, Hayden, Vivaldi and Beethoven. Earlier this month, I sang Bethoven's Ninth Syphony and Brahms German Requiem with orchestra.
I am active in our local AmVets and VFW clubs. I play the bugle at veterans funerals. I march with our Drum and Bugle Corps, (From the safety of a golf cart) and write brass band marches for the veterans organizations, such as the American Legion and Salvation Army.
Joyce and I just celebrated out 2nd wedding anniversary. We plan to visit my grandchildren this Christmas, in Bellingham, WA.
Cheers to all of you.
Herb Gustafson.

Herb Gustafson

Back to top Go down

Herb Gustafson Empty Re: Herb Gustafson

Post  Hans van Meer. Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Herb Gustafson wrote:A brief update. True, I'm not well, but I have stabilized once my doctor came up with a correct diagnosis and treatment. Turns out I have peripheral neuropathy caused by too many dangerous occupational substances: agent orange, plutonium, iodine 131, deuterium etc..
No military benefits because of civilian exposure as well.
I am a choir director in a local Lutheran church. I continue to write; I just finished a 700 page Novel to be published soon. In it, a few pages are spent describing the hero, Hal, teaching bonsai to a Benedictine Monk who has taken a vow of silence. (why not?) I have taken up composing music as well. I especially am drawn to sacred choral music and I am well into writing a Requiem Mass. (hope that's not bad luck)
This week, I sang the solos for five latin masses, by Mozart, Durrufle, Hayden, Vivaldi and Beethoven. Earlier this month, I sang Bethoven's Ninth Syphony and Brahms German Requiem with orchestra.
I am active in our local AmVets and VFW clubs. I play the bugle at veterans funerals. I march with our Drum and Bugle Corps, (From the safety of a golf cart) and write brass band marches for the veterans organizations, such as the American Legion and Salvation Army.
Joyce and I just celebrated out 2nd wedding anniversary. We plan to visit my grandchildren this Christmas, in Bellingham, WA.
Cheers to all of you.
Herb Gustafson.

Sounds like you are living the live Herb!! Very Happy It is nice to me meet you!
Cheers from Holland,
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:45 pm

Thanks for resurrecting this post, Herb.

Question: Do you still have that old Viking helmet?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Herb Gustafson Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Ha! The Viking Helmet with the big horns on top? Of course. It still comes out at parties where there are no cameras. I packed that thing to Summerville, SC when I headlined there. In DC, airport security didn't like what they saw partly sticking out of my carry-on. The gal doing the screening asked me to identify the unusual shape and a few guards started gathering around closer. I put the helmet on and they backed up a little. She said "Where would you wear a hat like that?" I shrugged and replied, "South Carolina."
"Oh. OK you can go ahead."
Herb Gustafson

Herb Gustafson

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:09 pm

It still comes out at parties where there are no cameras.

Wellllll, cameras are everywhere these days, Herb. In phones, even, if you can believe that. <g>

I USED to have a picture. I think it was from the BCI meeting in Toronto in '97. Alas, it seems to have vanished.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down