Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slanting Picea question

5 posters

Go down

Slanting Picea question Empty Slanting Picea question

Post  Jonas Freeman Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:11 pm

Hi everybody,

Being new to bonsai I have the following question: I want to create a slanting picea glauca, nothing special just a slanting tree. The tree itself is still young about 50 cm high and a trunk about 2 cm. On this moment I did put it in the garden to grow more and mature. Howerever I can't find any instructions about the supposed angle it should be or a nice layout for this kind of tree. Does anyone have suggestions, layout or references where to find on how to make a nice slanting picea?

Every opinion is welcome.

Jonas.
Jonas Freeman
Jonas Freeman

Back to top Go down

Slanting Picea question Empty Re: Slanting Picea question

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:43 pm

The correct angle is whatever looks right TO YOU.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonas Freeman Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:38 pm

Thanks for the reply,

so if I am correct it is all in the eye of the beholder... Shocked

Jonas
Jonas Freeman
Jonas Freeman

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:50 pm

Hello Jonas,

I think Jim is reasonably correct. The angle is not as important as the overall balance of the image. In my experience less angle, from vertical is easier to pull off than a greater angle from vertical....but anything is possible. I would encourage you to find an image of a slanting bonsai that you like and one that you don't like...then compare the two paying close attention to the actual angle of the trunk and the location and length of the branches.

I hope that is helpful!
John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:04 pm

And the character of the nebari, or flare of the base of the tree and nearby surface roots, will have an effect on the appearance of stability or instability of the tree as a whole.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonas Freeman Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:27 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

It is much clearer to me on how to proceed. I did see some nice slanting trees on the internet and on youtube, I think some I saw are to difficult yet so I will start simply. Fortunately the tree I have does have some rather srrong base, not lot of nebari however, but to start as counter it will do fine once it grows a bit more I think. So I hardly can wait till next spring to give it a try and hopefully be able to produce a nice picture of the try-out. I wonder if you lost some tree when you started your interest in bonsai because I read it can be rather fustrating to loose a tree in the beginning and now I have seen some work of you wich is great.

Jonas
Jonas Freeman
Jonas Freeman

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:13 am

I doubt there is an experienced bonsaiest here who did not lose one (or more) of his (or her) earliest trees.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Jonas Freeman Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 am

JimLewis wrote:I doubt there is an experienced bonsaiest here who did not lose one (or more) of his (or her) earliest trees.

In that case I have to be carefull because I also got a new project with an juniperus procumbens nana wich I like very much. Perhaps I will post a picture of it in a new post soon to get advise.

Jonas
Jonas Freeman
Jonas Freeman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:37 am

JimLewis wrote:I doubt there is an experienced bonsaiest here who did not lose one (or more) of his (or her) earliest trees.

Not just the early trees either. Successes and failures are part and parcel of the learning curve, whether a twig, branch, or whole tree.

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricky Keaton Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 am

Jonas Freeman wrote:Thanks for the reply,

so if I am correct it is all in the eye of the beholder... Shocked

Jonas

nope beauty is in the eye of the beer holder...
Ricky Keaton
Ricky Keaton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down