Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

loropetalum chinese monraz

4 posters

Go down

loropetalum chinese monraz Empty loropetalum chinese monraz

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:23 pm

I found one of these trees half price this morning..the lady said it would be a inside tree here in w. va.. i need some information about triming and re potting be fore i get started..any one have one of these??? it has some pretty flowers on the price tag picture.. thanks very much..john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

loropetalum chinese monraz Empty Re: loropetalum chinese monraz

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:26 pm

The books say they're hardy in zones 8 and 9, though I'm certain I've seen a few yard specimens here in Zone 7/8. I dunno about it being an "inside" tree, though. It is definitely a temperate zone evergreen plant (warm temperate, but still temperate) and few of them will survive indoors. You probably would have to overwinter in in a greenhouse, since it is an "evergreen" and will need some light.

I tried bonsaiing one in N. Fla. (zone Cool and it died.

Does your have green or purple leaves? Th purple-leafed variety/cultivar probably is even less cold resistant.

Are they sold there as a landscape plant or a houseplant? Or an annual?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:39 pm

I tried them on the Space Coast (The way NASA is going I may have to change that.) with the same result. Death. I think A. it doesn't like containers and B. it is difficult to water properly. Never tried it inside or even in the green house.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

loropetalum chinese monraz Empty chinese fringe flower

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:07 pm

JIM,billy,, Thanks for posting ..the new growth is purple brown color.mature leaves are green. the tag says zone 8 20 to 10 deg.hardiness. it gets colder than that here. i do not know if it will live outside or even live period.. says it stands hard pruning???? i will try it and more than likely loose it. it looked good in the picture..thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:04 am

I have tried to grow two of them; Zone 7, Central VA Piedmont. One died. The other lost over half of its branches due to cold. Both were bought at nurseries; in one gallon pots. I root pruned them both in Spring, put in good, well draining soil. They flurished during the growing season. But by next Spring... Sad ... they do not like to freeze. Mine seemed to tolerate root pruning and pot culture during the growing season. They put out lots of growth and one of them bloomed well. Very pretty, but I don't have a greenhouse or cold house. Good luck! Very Happy
Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

loropetalum chinese monraz Empty fringe tree

Post  moyogijohn Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:10 am

Thanks Todd,,,i have the tree already so i have to try it.. i need to ask about things first but i was bored so i picked it for the flowers...maybe it will work..thanks again john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down