Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rescue juniper

2 posters

Go down

rescue juniper  Empty rescue juniper

Post  Ricky Keaton Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:59 pm

i have a gas station that is being raised in my town that has a nice juniper how can i dig it up and still hav hopes to keep it alive??? from reading here its a no no and anything dug at this time will die. i do have permission to dig it up as well..
Ricky Keaton
Ricky Keaton

Back to top Go down

rescue juniper  Empty Re: rescue juniper

Post  JimLewis Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:10 pm

If it is going to be uprooted soon anyway, all you can do is try.

Get as much of an undisturbed rootball as humanly possible. This means a pickup truck and someone to help you lift the tree into and out of the trunk bed.

Before you go to dig the tree, dig a large (wide) hole in your garden to put it in immediately after it arrives at your place. The hole should be dug where the tree will get a.m. sun and p.m. part shade. Fill it with water before you leave to dig the plant, so the bottom and sides are wet when you get there.

Put the newly dug tree in the hole as carefully as possible. Try not to plant it any deeper than it was growing at the station. This means, you may have to backfill a bit before you set the tree in the hole. Be quick.

As soon as the tree and rootball is sitting in the hole, fill it with water again. THEN backfill into the water with the original soil from the hole. Use a sick to ensure that soil fills all the voids around the edge of the root ball (and under it!). With some extra soil from the hole, create a low ridge around the newly planted tree at the edge of the hole. Fill it with water again.

Water it this way 2-3 times a week for the next month or two
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down