Repotting Junipers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repotting Junipers

Post  Jay Gaydosh on Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:57 pm

While reading Fiona's "Another Darn Juniper" thread, I realized I have a dozen, or so, junipers, all approximately 3 to 5 years old and all in standard nursery pots.

I originally purchased them to use as donor trees to (mostly) kids who showed interest in learning about bonsai.

If I want to start training them for different styles and/or pots, when is the best time to do so. These were all purchased from the Owens Nursery catalog people. (One of their home nurseries is a few miles up the road from me.) I transferred them from their original spike-shaped containers to plastic pots I had saved from previous purchases. I have been working on several different styles, but want to move to the next step. Some I plan on putting into larger pots of boxes to promote the growth to larger style trees, the rest I plan on proceeding on a smaller scale.

What time of the year for Juniperus procumbens is the best time to repot and start training for shallow bonsai pots, root-over-rock styles, and possible raft plantings?

I can get pics of the Jp "forest" if desired.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Re: Repotting Junipers

Post  Hawaiian77 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:50 pm

Howzit Jay,

Sorry Cuz, I wish I could help you on this one but in Hawaii we can re-pot at any old time of the year. Very Happy

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool

Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:14 pm

So, if I pack up my trees and take them to your house on vacation, I can repot them there and fly them back in their new pots? SWEET!

Thanks, Tim!

Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:49 pm

The answer:

Late winter.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:07 pm

What time of the year for Juniperus procumbens is the best time to repot and start training for shallow bonsai pots, root-over-rock styles, and possible raft plantings?

You want to repot Junipers in the cooler months, here in Florida that Jan. or Feb.

I agree with Jim Lewis about "Late Winter." Late enough to be cool/cold but with the prospect of warmer weather to encourage growth.

I would suggest something like two weeks before your last projected frost date and then if there is a late frost/freeze be prepared to protect them overnight.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Gaydosh on Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks, Tim, Jim & Billy. Juniperus repottimus project now on hold till winter!

Jay

Jay Gaydosh

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:21 am

So feed them well and watch them grow. ThumbsUp Bagpiper

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool

Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Repotting Junipers

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:43 am

In Zone 5, repot in March or April. Once they are repotted, keep them above freezing.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:55 am

Hi Jay,
If your junipers are healthy now, you can prune and wire them. Save the root/repotting work until late Winter, per Jim and Billy's suggestions. I also find that junipers respond better if you don't perform major styling and major root pruning at the same time. And as Tim said, FEED them! Very Happy Salut, Todd

Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:09 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum