Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin.

2 posters

Go down

Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin. Empty Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin.

Post  Joe Hatfield Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:50 pm

So here is a Ponderosa that seems to have a Borer issue. I found two of these buggers in the tips of 2 separate branch clusters. I checked all the branches and needles to see if any were pulling out due to more unwanted guests and came out with only 2 so far. I would imagine that these start out rather small and have grown to this size. I'm not sure what I'm in store for. Any Advice will be greatly appreciated.

Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin. 100_4410
Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin. 100_4411
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin. Empty Re: Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin.

Post  Joe Hatfield Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:32 am

i \now see a recent thread pertaining to the same problem.
Joe Hatfield
Joe Hatfield

Back to top Go down

Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin. Empty Re: Borer vs Ponderosa Pine, let the saga begin.

Post  tom tynan Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:01 pm

Joe: I would not assume you have a tree infected with borers - unless you see holes and sawdust in the trunk and/or brannches. What you probably have is a form of catepillar that chews on the newly formed needles - very common on the East Coast. Usually - you only notice them after they have devoured an entire branch and then it is a bit too late. Although - I have seen branches fully recover - even after chewed to the bone. A spraying with SEVIN or other insecticide will kill them quickly. Checking the trees daily during the summer is a good idea - esp. if you find the catepillar's on more than one tree....good luck and nice Ponderosa...Tom

tom tynan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down