Enough Sun?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Enough Sun?

Post  toy4x4 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:31 pm

I have three main plants right now and a bunch of starter plants. The three main ones are a Japanese Juniper, Seiju Elm and Cork Bark Elm. Where I have them sitting, they are getting full sun from about 1:30pm until 5:30pm - 6pm. After that, the sun starts getting behind the trees behind the house.

Is this enough sun?
How will I know if it is not getting enough sun? (I understand the under/over-watering symptoms)

I am not sure where else I could move the trees to provide more sun but I'm watching the shadows.

toy4x4

Back to top Go down

Enough Sun?

Post  bonsaisr on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:48 am

You are at Latitude 36 N in a fairly sunny state. Junipers & elms want full sun. I would guess they are probably getting enough sun. Signs of not enough sun: loose growth with long internodes, large leaves that don't reduce with pinching, dark leaf color, susceptible to fungus or mildew. Make sure your trees are not close together, turn regularly, and keep the upper branches shorter than the lower ones.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Re: Enough Sun?

Post  NeilDellinger on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:15 am

Terry,
Speaking as a guy literally living across town from you...and knowing that the plants are on the south side of the house I'd say you are fine. As Iris stated, if your trees are not getting enough sun they will have larger leaves, and longer looser internodal growth. I know you just built your benches so it may be too early to say. But I think you're safe.

Besides.....Its been 100F in our neighborhood lately so you should be more worried about ensuring they get enough water....as a couple of them as I recall are planted in very loose fast draining inorganic soil.

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  toy4x4 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:30 am

Thanks Iris and Neil!

I work from home so I have the luxury of getting to check them throughout the day. I am using a moisture meter at times to make sure I am also not over-watering. Everything is looking great, I'm just paranoid now that I have some nice trees.

toy4x4

Back to top Go down

Enough Sun?

Post  bonsaisr on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:00 am

Moisture meters are designed for SOIL. They are not recommended for largely inorganic mixes, orchid bark, or the like. If the pot is big enough, there is no substitute for a finger. Otherwise use a Persiano pick: a bamboo chopstick, wooden skewer, or freshly sharpened pencil. Stick it way down to the bottom of the pot & see if it's damp.
Iris

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  toy4x4 on Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 am

So just stick it down there and pull it out? Or leave it for a bit?

Ok, I went and did it and understand,

Thanks Iris!

toy4x4

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:31 pm

toy4x4 wrote:So just stick it down there and pull it out? Or leave it for a bit?

Ok, I went and did it and understand,

Thanks Iris!

It is more reliable if you leave the stick jammed in the pot all the time and check it at the same time each day.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:06 am

Terry,
Knowing the soil mix you have there...which is the same as mine you do not need to worry about checking so often or using a meter or stick.
Your soil drains so quickly & it has been so hot that 2X day watering will be fine. Water completely in the morning at sun up and again in the mid afternoon right before the heat of the day...which in Tulsa is around 3pm.

You need to fertilize more in this mix. Every 10 days water and fertilize at sundown, any fertilizer is fine. I've been doing this routine for a long time and as you have seen my trees are healthy as can be!!

Neil

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  toy4x4 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:23 am

Will do Neil.

I'm not having any trouble right now with the trees I got from you. I have some starters I got from other sources that I'm not sure what soil mix they have. I'm using the bamboo skewers on them and they don't require the same amount of water. I have a couple cork bark oaks that are obviously over watered. But the other starters I have gotten from you are doing fine with the watering I have been doing.

toy4x4

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:36 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum