Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ID and some help please

4 posters

Go down

ID and some help please  Empty ID and some help please

Post  armani22 Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:50 am

I have had this little guy for 10 years, I have no Idea what species it is, some kind of pine?
Well up until a month or so ago this was a healthy tree, Now I am seeing lots of brown areas, and dead needles falling off.
I keep it outdoors, it gets sunlight maybe 7 hours a day in summer, I water when the dirt starts to look dry and then i give it a good soaking, I also spray mist 3 times a day,
It has been transplanted over a year ago.
Can anyone suggest what may be going on ?
Thanks..
Matt
ID and some help please  Img_0211

armani22

Back to top Go down

ID and some help please  Empty Re: ID and some help please

Post  Tom Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:10 am

It looks to me like a juniper, the foliage and bark are very similar to San Jose Juniper.
If the browning is not at the tips of the shoots, but further down the branches, then it may just be natural shedding of older foliage.
If the tips / new growth are looking brown or dried out then you may have a problem.

Tom
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

ID and some help please  Empty Thanks Tom

Post  armani22 Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:21 am

Thanks Tom, I will inspect further tomorrow in the daylight, I do think the tips are green and most of the brown area is down the branches.
I know its not the most wonderful tree to look at, but I have had it since it was one inch in height and we have been through allot togeather Very Happy

armani22

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsainotwar Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:46 am

It looks like a juniperous communis I have one too.

ID and some help please  JUNIPERUS

ID and some help please  Juniperus-communis-juniper-berries-pi-191

I've found it to be slower growing than other junipers.They are what sprouts if you,or a bird plant a juniper berry.You may have to dig up a number of them,if you want to get one that survives transplanting.

bonsainotwar

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:03 am

I don't think this is a juniperus communis: the needles of the common juniper are much longer.

If it is a juniper communis, it must be a cultivar, like J. communis 'Repanda', or 'Prostrata', which are ground-covering cultivars with much smaller needles: in that case, the habit is not upright, but it spreads horizontally. Maybe that's why it's tied to a stick?

To me, your tree looks a bit like Juniperus squamata, maybe J. squamata 'Meyeri', but I may be wrong: there are so many different cultivars that's it's hard to tell from a photo.

In any case, the brown needles may comme from a growing medium which is not adapted to the tree: junipers don't like getting too much water, and they like alkaline soil.

From my garden:

Juniperus communis (seedling collected in the south of France a few years ago):

ID and some help please  Juni0310

J. communis 'prostrata'. The needles are much smaller than on the common form:

ID and some help please  Juni0110

J. squamata 'Blue carpet' (much more blue in "real life" than on this photo):

ID and some help please  Juni0210
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content