Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Novelty Value?

+3
NeilDellinger
JimLewis
Ian Young
7 posters

Go down

Novelty Value? Empty Novelty Value?

Post  Ian Young Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Thought I would share a photo of my friends Gooseberry. It's been at my house for about 5 years so it feels like mine :-) Also shown is my Spiraea.Past it's flowering best but still nice.

Novelty Value? Dscf1610

Novelty Value? Dscf1611
Not exactly bonsai but I love having a splash of colour on the bench at this time of year. The gooseberry is a great talking point at displays Very Happy Impossible to get it to back bud though Exclamation
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Novelty Value? Empty Re: Novelty Value?

Post  JimLewis Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:44 pm

Well, if the gooseberry were yours, you undoubtedly woudl get rid of one or the other of those branches, probably the upright one -- yes?

First Spirea bonsai I've seen that I like.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:49 pm

Jim, I'd probably go S**T or bust and cut it back hard and make the bugger back bud Twisted Evil

One or the other will still look wrong and you can't wire as they are extremely brittle. The branches go hollow in the middle.

Tasty to have in the garden though Very Happy
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:41 pm

My grandma used to make us pies & cobblers. If it were mine, I would plant it in the ground, pick the berries, make a pie and enjoy. My wife makes me gooseberry pies for my birthday instead of cakes. Very Happy

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:34 pm

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Hungry!!!!!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Novelty Value? Empty Pies versus Cakes

Post  Guest Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:00 am

I think this could be a very lively debate on Discussion and o t b... Pies including crumble for me..Savory or sweet.

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:50 am

Funny...I think I could be one of about 5 people in the US who even know what a gooseberry is...let alone eating them!

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Ricky Keaton Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:31 am

NeilDellinger wrote:Funny...I think I could be one of about 5 people in the US who even know what a gooseberry is...let alone eating them!

make it 6... Wink
Ricky Keaton
Ricky Keaton

Back to top Go down

Novelty Value? Empty American who knows gooseberries

Post  peewee1974 Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:32 am

Know what they are and love them, never had a pie or cobbler but my great grandmother had a bush and I ate them before anyone could pick them and doing some cooking with them. I currently have four that I am trying to do something with. All around two years old.
peewee1974
peewee1974

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:21 am

Glad to see that the value of one of my favourite fruits has made it across the pond. I picked about 20 lbs of them from my bushes a couple of days ago. One old plant suffers from mildewed berries, so is going to become bonsai next spring.

I already have this one, 12 years from seed. No fruit this year, but as Ian says it usually carries a few berries around show time and is then a real crowd pleaser. Most people in the UK can recognise the berries and go all ooh, ahhh!

Sorry about the awful shot but it's grey and raining outside. Novelty Value? Gooseb11
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:22 am

Those are great little plants guys. Thanks for posting yours Kev. I'll need to get one for my benches.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:46 am

I have a vivid childhood memory of sneaking into a disused garden and eating them by the handful. Problem was, most weren't ripe yet! Boy did I suffer for that What a Face

In case any are interested

Novelty Value? D17ba310

Ingredients

3 cups fresh gooseberries
2 cups white sugar
3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
2 tablespoons milk
1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar

Directions

Stem and rinse berries.
Crush 1/2 cup berries in the bottom of a saucepan. Combine sugar, tapioca, and salt; mix with crushed berries. Cook and stir until mixture boils. Cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat, and add in remaining whole berries.
Pour fruit filling into pastry. Adjust top crust , cut slits for escape of steam. Brush with milk and sugar.
Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 35 minutes.

Now we are definitely getting off topic Very Happy
Fresh cream anyone?
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:56 am

Yes please Ian. Custard as well. Thats a very reserved slice you've taken there! Mind you there's always seconds........and thirds.......

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:56 pm

Well guys. I am facing a relocation back to Illinois. BUT...maybe I can convince my Manager to relocate me to your neck of the woods...based on a hardship of some kind...Illinois is severely lacking in gooseberries, pie crusts, elms, scots pine.... I think I could write a convincing business case. Very Happy

Thanks for the recipe Ian. Looks like it would be just tart enough. I'll try it. My wife hates pulling the stems off.

Have a good one fellas.

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:30 pm

Ian Young wrote:I have a vivid childhood memory of sneaking into a disused garden and eating them by the handful. Problem was, most weren't ripe yet! Boy did I suffer for that What a Face
I discovered early on in childhood why my Grannie grew her gooseberries right next to the outside toilet. And if it wasn't planned that way, it certainly was fortuitous for the reason Ian mentions.

Ian, after that pie recipe, I'm definitely coming over to visit.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:31 pm

Man, am I hungry now!!!!!!!!!!!!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Young Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:53 pm

Fiona,

I would love to take credit for the recipe, but you'd have to thank google Smile

You are still more than welcome and I'm sure something with fresh cream will be available!
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum