Collected Purple Bougainvillea

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Collected Purple Bougainvillea

Post  Hawaiian77 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:45 pm

Right on "V"..... You Da Man!! (Or Wahine Embarassed ) There's some I saw with really gnarly trunks and I thought that it would be to much work to dig it out. Now, I think "Miss Kitty" is going to have a fit!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool

Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway on Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:05 am

Can't wait to see what you get!!! Very Happy

The gnarlier the better... and they are easy to carve. So you can get mad character in them quick... and a few short seasons and you've got a very well established branch structure. I love bougies for that reason. Smile

V

Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:48 am

Howzit all,

I hope that you all had a wonderful holiday season. santa I wish you all the best in the coming year. It's been six months since my last post of this bougie and this is just an update.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool

Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:00 am

Heres mine. I never treated the deadwood either, just as Vic says...drill drain holes to ensure it stays dry, or at least dries quickly. Mine has never bloomed damnitt! I collected it in Indiana in a greenhouse where it had rooted into the floor many many yrs ago. I've tried everything but bougain to get it to bloom. I carved it again this week and refined the deadwood. Its amazing how fast they develop, even in a crappy climate for tropicals. Its the one and only tropical one I have. Any tips on blooming and I'd be interested in hearing them.

4 yrs ago after collecting (a big cutting)
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sQq0e5jsUXY/R5shoiv0u9I/AAAAAAAAAC4/DmBbhlgc5y0/Boug%20May.JPG

2 yrs ago after defoliating

1 year ago after it got a new pot & leafed out after another round of defoliating. Its sitting under lights in the basement sulking right now.
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_sQq0e5jsUXY/TNaE37s8rHI/AAAAAAAAEmY/WwkZTU502v8/s512/boug2%205%202010.jpg

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:31 am

With out a doubt the more common red does better in a container than the more exotic colors, but if you have tried a "Bloom Buster" type fertilizer (high middle number) try watering less. Bougies like to be pruned and dry.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks Billy. I have just recently started to let it dry out more. Its in a pretty free draining mix....Haydite, pumice & akadama in equal measures. I fed it something similar a couple of times this season.

Its a nice tree that I have enjoyed training, but seeing it bloom would be the icing on the cake. Smile

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes on Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:54 pm

I am not sure the bougie benefits from "akadama." I have never used it but where I have seen it, it held a lot of moisture.

Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 on Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:04 pm

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I am not sure the bougie benefits from "akadama." I have never used it but where I have seen it, it held a lot of moisture.

Howzit Billy,

In my bougies I do use akadama and volcanic cinders and yes it dose hold more moisture so I don't water as much. In my soil I use 30% akadama and 70% volcanic cinders. Half way down the grow box I very the size of the cinders. I just collected this so I'm hoping after a year or so the bracts will come out. Will keep you posted.

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool

Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum