Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ID PLS.

+6
bonsaisr
Mike Jones
JimLewis
jrodriguez
kauaibonsai
ogi uyehara
10 posters

Go down

ID PLS. Empty ID PLS.

Post  ogi uyehara Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:30 am

hi to all,

Good day to all. I have a bonsai material that is in training for 5 years. I live in Manila we call this specie kulasi. While searching the internet tha latin name of kulasi, I cant find any match of this tree. Can anyone help me identify this tree. I attached the actual tree, leaves and flowers. Hope you guys help me,

Ogi

LEAVES
[img]ID PLS. Leaves10[/img][img]ID PLS. Kulasi11[/img][img]ID PLS. Flower10[/img]
ogi uyehara
ogi uyehara

Back to top Go down

ID PLS. Empty Re: ID PLS.

Post  kauaibonsai Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:34 am

whatever it is, the trunk sure is beautiful !!

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:46 pm

Ogi,

In Indonesia and Puerto Rico, there is a similar tree, Sabinea florida. I am pretty sure this is what you have.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:42 pm

Tamarindus indica???????????????? Fruit looks right.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Such a similar pattern to Robinia/False Acacia.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:32 pm

This is definitely not a tamarind.
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

ID PLS. Empty ID Pls

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:06 pm

Lumnitzera racemosa.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Martin Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Looking at the picture with the flower in it the plant looks as if it is a member of the Legume family, one of the pea family?
Dave Martin
Dave Martin

Back to top Go down

ID PLS. Empty ID Pls

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:38 pm

Kulasi is Lumnitzera racemosa. It belongs to the Combretaceae. This plant, as you say a legume, is something else. The name kulasi apparently has been attached to more than one species.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:33 am

ogi uyehara wrote:hi to all,

Good day to all. I have a bonsai material that is in training for 5 years. I live in Manila we call this specie kulasi. While searching the internet tha latin name of kulasi, I cant find any match of this tree. Can anyone help me identify this tree. I attached the actual tree, leaves and flowers. Hope you guys help me,

Ogi

LEAVES
[img]ID PLS. Leaves10[/img][img]ID PLS. Kulasi11[/img][img]ID PLS. Flower10[/img]

Hi Ogi,
I don't know what it is but it sure is beautiful! The pictures indicate that the branches grow very long. Is it like a vine?
The flowers look like a legume. The trunk is amazing! Thank you for sharing it. Arigato! Salut, Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

ID PLS. Empty Kulasi?

Post  RichLewis Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:07 am

Hey,

I saw the leaves and I thought it is an Acacia tree! And then I remembered eating the leaves in the chicken tinola my girlfriend cooked the other night. But it is not malunggay as the flower is different... She did a search and this is what came out:

LUMINTZERA RACEMOSA Willd. KULASI

Petaloma alba Blanco.

Local names: Agnaya (Sbl.); kulasi (Tag.); solasi (tag.); tabau (P. Bis., Tag.).

Kulasi is fond in beach swamps and along tidal streams in Rizal, Bataan, and Quezon Provinces in Luzon; and in Mindoro, Panay, Negros, Cebu, and Mindanao. T also occurs in India through Malaya to Australia and Polynesia.

The plant is tree reaching a height of 18 meters. It flowers when 1 meter high or less. The air-roots are few in number. The leaves are fleshy, green, shining, narrowly obovate, and 2.5 to 7 centimeters long, with rounded and notched tip, and pointed base. The calyx is oblong-cylindric, green, 5 to 6 millimeters long, and short-toothed. The petals are white, oblong, and about 4 millimeters in length. There are ten stamens which are as long as the petals. The fruit is green, woody, oblong, 1.5 to 2 centimeters long, and crowned by the persistent calyx-rim, and contains a single seed.

The wood is used for piles, poles, house post, ties, paving blocks, bridges and wharves, construction of ship planks and decks, handles and cabinet work. The bark can be used for tanning.

According to Guerrero, in the Philippines a fluid substance which is obtained from incisions made in the stem is employed, mixed with coconut oil, as an antitherpetic and cure for itches.

----------- Hope this helped!

RichLewis

Back to top Go down

ID PLS. Empty ID pls.

Post  Ka Pabling Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:44 pm

None of the above

Kulasi is a vine that could be trained to look like a tree, just like the other vines that we use for bonsai.
I have seen the pictures of the names you mentioned but none matches that of kulasi'

Kulasi bonsai is similar to that of tamarind, in the wild the leaves are three times bigger than tamarind
but when trained as bonsai, is just 1/3 of tamarind leaves.

I have been searching for the latin name of kulasi and just like Ogi,Iam asking you guys to help us ID this tree

Ka Pabling
Ka Pabling

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum