Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NW England hosepipe ban.

+6
Kev Bailey
Mike Jones
tim stubbs
Thinktreedanielsan
fiona
Harleyrider
10 posters

Go down

NW England hosepipe ban. Empty NW England hosepipe ban.

Post  Harleyrider Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:53 pm

Can anyone explain to me why it's just been announced that the Northwest of England (where I live) is subject to a hosepipe ban as from Friday, considering it's the wettest place in the country?
Not long ago, we had major flooding across vast swathes of our region with lives lost and homes and businesses ruined. According to the Met Office spokesman, and this is true, "It was the wrong type of rain."

Excuse me?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

NW England hosepipe ban. Empty Re: NW England hosepipe ban.

Post  fiona Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:01 pm

He used to work for British Rail, that guy.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Thinktreedanielsan Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:09 pm

Rules are that you can jetwash your drive/patio, but not water your plants with a hose ! Only in England mate !!!!

Good luck keeping them going, take them in the shower with you ?
Thinktreedanielsan
Thinktreedanielsan

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:44 pm

On the flipside, we've had no significant rain for 3 months. My lawn looks brown and my Corkscrew Willow tree is now weeping. No hosepipe ban here though!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  tim stubbs Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Thinktreedanielsan wrote:Rules are that you can jetwash your drive/patio, but not water your plants with a hose ! Only in England mate !!!!

Good luck keeping them going, take them in the shower with you ?

the council and national trust can water their gardens and baskets etc with a hose , so i think we shoud take all our trees to the localpark and get the council to water them , that way we get something for our council tax
tim stubbs
tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:06 pm

In the SW of England I am keeping my fingers crossed on not getting a ban. We are due thousands of holiday goers any day now for the next 6-8 weeks using all our water (motorway at a standstill Friday afternoons and Saturdays...sigh) reservoirs are looking a bit sad as is grass and the garden in general. I

The ground is so dry and cracked...god knows we need a drop of the wet stuff. Fingers crossed it is the right type NW England hosepipe ban. Icon_exclaim
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:19 pm

All the more reason to start collecting your own surface water runoff and perhaps grey water too. Rain tanks should really be in much greater use. There's a lot on the web about them. This one is a few years old but still a good starter for info http://www.rainham-history.co.uk/html/beat_the_drought_water_saving.htm.

One really big plus point of harvesting your own rainwater is that wet weather always brings a huge smile to your face.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:48 am

I have a 370 litre tank but it goes down very quickly in the growing season.

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:53 pm

370 litres is about 100 gallons? I manage most years through the dry patches with 400 gallons but am planning to add a buried 1000 gallon tank and a submersible pump, when finances allow. When water meters eventually become compulsory for all, I'll bet many more people will do this too. I noticed that when the water authority replaced my stop tap in the road recently there was a connection for a meter to be added. Shocked Crying or Very sad
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:16 pm

You're lucky Kev. I live in a listed building with nowhere to bury a tank.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I am not normally a renegade... BUT this make me really mad... we have had three years of almost NONE STOP RAIN... the wettest period of my time on this green planet. Four months of relatively dry weather and we get a feckin hose pipe ban... I for one will NOT BE playing by the rules. The goddam Utility company godda sort out their leakage problems Check here am I angry.. you betcha Mad

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Well, Tony puts it far better than I could, and it does actually make you wonder what a privatised industry has done for the end user? Now let me think a moment.......
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  tim stubbs Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:24 pm

according to united utilities , the water for our village comes from Lake Vyrnwy. its not even in england or the UU area , so by that reconing , its welsh water and the ban is only on english water
tim stubbs
tim stubbs

Back to top Go down

Post  harry dovey Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:10 pm

will baddeley wrote:On the flipside, we've had no significant rain for 3 months. My lawn looks brown and my Corkscrew Willow tree is now weeping. No hosepipe ban here though!!!!
they were talking about a hose pipe ban in ipswich next week in the news will
harry dovey
harry dovey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 pm

Bugger!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:22 pm

harry dovey wrote:they were talking about a hose pipe ban in ipswich next week in the news will
This sounds like the beginning of a joke. Anyone know the punchline?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:41 pm

fiona wrote:
harry dovey wrote:they were talking about a hose pipe ban in ipswich next week in the news will
This sounds like the beginning of a joke. Anyone know the punchline?
Gardeners will bear the brunt and Suffolk the consequence...... Embarassed ...Iceni problem myself as I have waterbutts. Shocked Very Happy

Back to top Go down

NW England hosepipe ban. Empty hosepipe ban

Post  Les S Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:50 pm

If you are allowed to powerhose drive you could always place trees at side of drive and any excess spray might then go into pots!!!!!

Les S

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:55 am

we have had water restrictions here in Victoria for a number of years. People who are really into their gardens have learned to live with them and the water tank industry has really boomed. I believe the restrictions are just the state government wanting to be seen doing something about a chronic water shortage. Domestic consumption accounts for 17% of the states total usage but we are still using drinking water to cool the power stations. We have had 10 years of drought resulting in incredible bushfires, salinity on a huge scale and the serious degradation of our most important river systems.
To hear of you people in the UK getting temps up to 38 is astounding you must be really feeling it I know only too well what 38 feels like . To allow people to hose their concrete is just bizarre, that was the first thing to be banned here.
Hope things improve for you.
Craig

craigw

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:21 pm

Hey Craig and all you others from hot spots, after the past few days of totally crap weather in west central Scotland, I've got to the point where 38 degrees would be welcome. And I'm talking about Fahrenheit!!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  craigw Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:21 pm

Hi Fiona its a bit like that for me to just now we haven't had double digits for a week and theres been this constant Scottish mist(not quite rain).
I have ben reading some Lionel Shriver books you should check her out very interesting writer.
Craig

craigw

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Monday to Thursday this week, I would have been glad of a 38 minute break in the rain!

It has chucked it down all week where I live, snails and slugs have been cruising all over the garden like some sort of slimey time-lapse photography film.

Yesterday afternoon the sun finally came out, today has been blue skies and sunshine all day Very Happy

Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down