Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beginner Bonsai

4 posters

Go down

Beginner Bonsai Empty Beginner Bonsai

Post  hoboman Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:17 pm

I would like to make either a cherry tree or a type of pine tree into a bonsai.
Which would be easier for a beginner?

Thanks!

hoboman

Back to top Go down

Beginner Bonsai Empty Re: Beginner Bonsai

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:20 pm

In SA, I'd suggest you look into a Casuarina sp. They can look like pines and are probably better adapted to your climate.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:58 pm

Jim gave you the scientific name of a plant family that might do well in your area. The problem with terms like "cherry" or "pine" is that many species are referred to with common, regional names that frequently do not indicate their true species. We have the Pinus family which are "pines" and we have many Australian Pines, Norfolk Island Pines, etc. that are not true pines. The true pines will not like your climate, neither will the true cherries, (Prunus) but we have a lot of plants named cherry that are not.
What I am trying to say is that you may be looking at plants in South Africa called Pines and Cherries, but are really something else.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:40 pm

Well, unfortunately (for the local ecological balance), Monterey Pines and Loblolly pines (and perhaps others) have been widely imported into "suitable habitats" in the Southern Hemisphere, so while Mother Nature in her wisdom put none of the Genus Pinus into the southern hemisphere, man in his arrogance, has put them there. In monocultural abundance.

But Billy is right. Just about any of your native species will do better in a pot in your area than these exotics (to you). I still recommend Casuarina. Here's a picture of a nice Casuarina bonsai from Google images:

Beginner Bonsai Casuar10
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Jones Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:25 pm

Jim

That is NOT a nice tree! It is an AMAZING/BEAUTIFUL tree Beginner Bonsai Icon_biggrin Beginner Bonsai Icon_biggrin Beginner Bonsai Icon_biggrin

Mike
Mike Jones
Mike Jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Isn't that tree by Robert Steven? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down