Virginia pine

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Virginia pine

Post  Tom Simonyi on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm

I recently came across an old locust with character that was hollowed out to a degree....a friend cut a section and levelled it at an appropriate height and with minimal further carving of the interior the pot sits in a fairly stable position.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Re: Virginia pine

Post  Rob Kempinski on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:12 pm

Sorry Tom, but the log looks way too clunky for the tree. This is a great tree and a more graceful stand will set of the nice structure of the tree.

Can you rotate the tree counterclockwise looking down from the top just a bit? Seems like that would give it more depth, it would even give the pot more depth.

Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi, Rob:

Good hearing from you and thanks for the kind words and good input...I must agree with you as I continue to look at the composition...

Best regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  AJ on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:44 pm

Tom - The stand looks serviceable to me; it's rugged, just as the tree and the container have a rugged character. I think it might be worth turning the stand 180 degrees, so that it's slanting the other way, and have a look at that. As I look at it, the tree is taking my eye movement in one direction while the stand is moving my eye in the opposite. I think it would also be worth a look to turn the stand over from the way it is now, so that it is wider at the base. These are just some thoughts, of course, without having the advantage of seeing the tree, container and stand in person. It may well be that the way you have it is the best configuration. But the idea of using the piece of old locust is appealing to me. We need to always be looking for different ways of doing things. - AJ

AJ

Back to top Go down

What is the main focus of this composition?

Post  Wm Tom Davis on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:40 am

I very much like the tree; but the over sized pot and the big light wood base take my eyes away from the tree as I feel they are over powering in size and bulk and they are the main focus of the composition.
I feel that the tree should always be the main focus which attracts the eye, and the pot and stand should be complimentary to the main focus, the tree.

Wm Tom Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:05 pm

Here is an updated photo....I followed Rob's advice and indeed he was right. Thanks Rob.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Cliff on Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:05 am

I agree with Rob about the log. Yes, AJ, it matches the rugged character of the pot and tree, but I think that's part of the problem. An elegant stand would provide some much-needed contrast, emphasizing the rugged nature of the tree and pot. I'd go for a dark brown or black laquered stand.
The new photo is a big improvement, the pot doesn't overpower the tree like it did in the first photo.
The main trunk bothers me a little, I think it's a bit too close to horizontal. It might look better if tilted down another 5-10 degrees.

Cliff

Back to top Go down

Post  Wm Tom Davis on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:46 am

The other thing I now see with the new photo is that the low cascading branch is the same color as the base, and to me what I see is wire and needles. I also agree with Cliff about the trunk being so horizontal. With the busyness of the branches, the pot, and the base, I'm lost/confused as far as direction, and I don't know what would help with it other than reworking the whole thing and trying something different.
Here is what I was thinking, with the tree being the focus and apex of the whole, with the old horizontal branch now at the same angle as the top of the pot, which I feel gives it a bit of direction.

My apologies for seeing it differently, and I wish you all the best with it.

Wm Tom Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:25 pm

Your input is much appreciated....I prefer the tree as it is at this point; however, I am in the process of searching for another stump that is more full of holes, a bit more tapered, and darker in color.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:33 am

Hi Tom: I don't know how good you are with a die grinder but you could always deepen some of the fissures and hollow out some of the depression in the existing trunk to give it a bit more character. You could then stain it and and oil it to give it a darker hue. If you decide to do this be careful of debris in the wood; old nails, bullets, and old pieces of barbed wird embeded in the wood. You could also change the taper of the log a bit.

Your tree is doing very well and has changed and matured a great deal from the last time I saw it.

Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi, Vance:

Great to hear from you and thanks for the kind words and your input. Growing the tree "as a mugho" has worked out very well...I am not very good with power tools; however I have some friends who do the type of work that you have described...that is very insightful on your part and I will definitely pursue it. My best to you and Leigh and your family.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:03 pm

Tom
With a chainsaw and a die grinder, the stump could be carved into something like the virtual image.

Mike

mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood on Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:52 pm

This would be nice!

Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:56 pm

Indeed it would! Thanks for the virtual, Mike...

Best regards,
Tom

Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:25 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum