Rose Bonsai?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rose Bonsai?

Post  prestontolbert on Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone had experience with rose bonsai. If so, can they be airlayered? I have an incredibly old tree (70-100 years) and its dying. I was hoping to take a layer and revive at least part of it. As you can see in the image, it has gnarly woody growth and relatively small leaves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-PT

prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Re: Rose Bonsai?

Post  Alan Walker on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:56 am

Preston: I don't know about air layering roses, but I do know that most roses, including the one you show, are grafted onto root stock. So, you might accomplish your purposes by grafting onto a young, healthy stock.

Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 am

I found out a couple of years ago that many roses will also take incredibly easily from cuttings, so I guess that airlayering would be a possibility. Not one I've ever done though.

Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I'd try it both ways. I've never had a rose NOT take as a cutting. My guess is that layers would be just as easy.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks all-
I was hoping I wouldn't have to graft. This rose will be fun at best since its flowers are up to 3 inches wide, way too much for bonsai.
-PT

prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:02 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum