Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rose Bonsai?

4 posters

Go down

Rose Bonsai? Empty Rose Bonsai?

Post  prestontolbert Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:55 pm

I was wondering if anyone had experience with rose bonsai. If so, can they be airlayered? I have an incredibly old tree (70-100 years) and its dying. I was hoping to take a layer and revive at least part of it. As you can see in the image, it has gnarly woody growth and relatively small leaves. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
-PT

Rose Bonsai? Desert10

Rose Bonsai? Desert11
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Rose Bonsai? Empty Re: Rose Bonsai?

Post  Alan Walker Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:56 am

Preston: I don't know about air layering roses, but I do know that most roses, including the one you show, are grafted onto root stock. So, you might accomplish your purposes by grafting onto a young, healthy stock.
Alan Walker
Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 am

I found out a couple of years ago that many roses will also take incredibly easily from cuttings, so I guess that airlayering would be a possibility. Not one I've ever done though.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:39 pm

I'd try it both ways. I've never had a rose NOT take as a cutting. My guess is that layers would be just as easy.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

Thanks all-
I was hoping I wouldn't have to graft. This rose will be fun at best since its flowers are up to 3 inches wide, way too much for bonsai.
-PT
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down