Air Layering Timing (Hackberry)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Air Layering Timing (Hackberry)

Post  prestontolbert on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:50 pm

I am unsure of when I should start my air layers. I have a hackberry with large exposed roots that I would like to layer individually. The roots are wide and very interesting. The tree is in a wash, so the base of the tree is airborne with three long roots holding it up. It is impossible to dig up the tree. Should I start when the buds start popping or should I wait 'till the leaves harden off? And would it be prudent to only layer two roots and leave the third root untouched or would that not be essential?
Also I have several upright junipers I would like to air layer. Again, should I wait until the needles are really growing, or just 'till after last frost? Would it be better to try and dig the junipers?
-Preston

prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Re: Air Layering Timing (Hackberry)

Post  JimLewis on Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:52 am

I'd guess that in the Verde Valley you'd be OK to start the layers now -- unless you think there still is a chance of a hard freeze.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert on Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:30 pm

Great, Thanks!
Off to soak my moss!
-Preston

prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:54 am

Sponsored content