Styling Suggestions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Styling Suggestions?

Post  Nitro_Fish_2010 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:13 pm

Need some suggestions on where to go with this shimpaku...

Front

Left

Back

Right

Trunk

Thanks for any suggestions. I have only been doing bonsai for 5 years and consider myself to be a novice especially when trying to bring the tree out of starter stock.

This tree has been in this box for three years and has really started to grow this year.

Nitro_Fish_2010

Back to top Go down

Re: Styling Suggestions?

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:46 pm

It first needs a general thinning out so the structure of the tree can be seen. Clean out all the downward-growing needles, clean the crotches and pinch the foliage more into pads, then let us see what you have. It's too bushy to ell much right now, though it looks interesting.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc on Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:25 pm

JimLewis wrote:It first needs a general thinning out so the structure of the tree can be seen. Clean out all the downward-growing needles, clean the crotches and pinch the foliage more into pads, then let us see what you have. It's too bushy to ell much right now, though it looks interesting.

What he said. Smile

Off topic question. What the heck are you holding up in your avatar? That's a mighty fine looking fish whatever it is. thumbs up

Ed

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

After Some Thinning

Post  Nitro_Fish_2010 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:30 pm

After some thinning.

Front

Left

Back

Right

Thanks again.

Ed that is a 28" Walleye

Last edited by Nitro_Fish_2010 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : None)

Nitro_Fish_2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood on Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:43 am

I see a smaller tree in this one mabye 10-12 in total . Nice walleye the biggest one I have ever caught was a 16 lb 32 incher on lake erie ( where I spent every summer from the time I was 1 till 13).then again you could always put it in the ground and let it grow free for a few years and let the trunk thicken up.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Nitro_Fish_2010 on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:36 am

Never tried this before but here is something I came up with.

Nitro_Fish_2010

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 pm

I think you have a shohin here, but the trunk is too uniform and thin for its length for anything bigger. Luckily, you have a good foliage mass down low.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum