Ficus BenJ.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ficus BenJ.

Post  amazonida on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Hi, this is one of my Ficus Benjamina, it is about 1,10 meters(don't know inches) tall and i was wondering if i can make some ajustments on it. Do you think is it good the way it is as shown? Or do i have to remove braches, defoliate etc...

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Re: Ficus BenJ.

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Looks to me like it is ready for a bonsai pot. Top could use some thinning so you can see the branch structure. I'd also get them off the ground while you still can without damaging roots that have grown through the pot.

Nice looking tree, but it'll be better when we can see branches and it is repotted.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  amazonida on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:20 pm

hi Jim,
This tree needs a pot, it's true! i'm looking for one.. witch one do you think? rectangular? oval?
Is it necessary to defoliate it? the front branche, should i remove?
Do i have to create a crown in oval shape?

amazonida

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB on Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:18 pm

I am seeing this tree in a shallow oval pot. I think oval pots suit clump, banyan, and forest styles a bit better than rectangles, although there are a few exceptions. I also think that before anyone could comment on the removal of branches we must see a picture of the tree defoliated to assess the branch structure. Good start though.

Todd

DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:11 pm

This is F. banjamina. I'm not sure I would defoliate it. Thinning the top so that we can see the branch structure is about as far as I'd go with this species.

But I am speaking from the temperate zone, and Amazonida is in South America.

Funny, I'd see this in a very formal rectangular pot with a lip.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:06 am

Jim,
I have defoliated ficus bejamina during strong summer growth. The thing I have always read is that they will suffer branch die back if no living bud i left at the tip of the branch. Although I am very inexperienced in the scope of bonsai I have not had any adverse effects to the tree from this. I have also used partial defoliation on the same tree. I am in Illinois which of itself is adverse for the tree. Anyway It has always produced a new flush of smaller leaves. I am still have quite alot to learn and this tree has been one of my learning trees.

Todd

DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:41 pm

As all here know, I'm not a grower of tropicals. I'll bow to experience with them.

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc on Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:57 pm

That's a massive looking beast. Very Happy

I agree with Jim about putting this in a formal, unglazed rectangle simply because of it mass and ruggedness. I think the soft lines of an oval would get lost with this tree. Plus the contrast of a formal pot and wild tree would make an interesting composition.

Thin the top out and show the branch structure. That way you can start making decisions about what you are going to keep.

Oh, and don't be afraid of cutting the roots way back with this tree. As you probably already know, new roots will just pop out from all over the base when you place it in a pot. It won't mind at all.

Good luck,
Ed

EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 2:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum