Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinus Banksiana clump

2 posters

Go down

Pinus Banksiana clump Empty Pinus Banksiana clump

Post  peter keane Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Collected in Maine 2004. This first image was shot a year later. Second picture is the initial styling with the assistance of David Benavente as guest artist at the Ho Yoku bonsai school in 2007. Third image is the tree from last year at the time of repotting. This simply involved cleaning out compacted soil, trimming roots and adding more sifted soil. The fourth image was shot today.

Pinus Banksiana clump Dscn4110
Pinus Banksiana clump Dscn8710
Pinus Banksiana clump Dscn2410
Pinus Banksiana clump 6_11_110
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Pinus Banksiana clump Empty Re: Pinus Banksiana clump

Post  peter keane Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:28 pm

and here is the base

Pinus Banksiana clump Dscn2411
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Pinus Banksiana clump Empty Pinus Banksiana clump

Post  Guest Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:11 pm

Thats developed really quickly Peter. Have admired David's work for a long time.

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Yes, it did. In 2007, I've wired it three times between May and September because of it severely biting into the trunk. Branches set quickly. I'm still trying to maximize back-budding. It doesn't behave quite like black pine, nor like scots pine. It's somewhere between the two. I haven't seen many examples of it in bonsai cultivation here. The needles can be reduced to the size of spruce needles. I think it's a great tree for bonsai.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:53 am

I couldn't resist playing with this tree... I like it very much, I think it's come a long way... and hope to see it over the years.

Pinus Banksiana clump Pine
Edited...
Pinus Banksiana clump Pineedit
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:44 am

hi Victrina. Thank you for the nice image. I like what you did with the apex on the second large trunk. However, the rest won't work for these reasons. The foliage on the lowest trunk is actually a branch pad coming from the trunk above it. And the second lower pad on the second trunk from the right originates from the first trunk on the right. If I used a proper backgound, I'm sure these details would have shown.

Hope you're enjoying the national exhibition.

Peter
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Victrinia Ridgeway Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:30 am

Then I humbly offer this thought... and while I am not a fan of "the rules" I also know that sometimes subtraction often supports the overall vision of a tree more than the total sum.

The upper pad doesn't concern me much... you could pull it off eventually... even bud grafting if needed. Even the lower pad is doable in the long term by the same technique or shear luck. Time is the only factor. However I have to say... I enjoy it as much with the triple trunk, and I also find the descending branch structurally lovely. So it's something to muse on anyway.

I'm not in NY with the tree... I sent it on it's own. I've got so many other vacations that have been in the plans longer than I had any thought of the Exhibition that I am not attending. Though there are bits and peices of me which wish I was there.

Pinus Banksiana clump Pineedit2copy

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
Victrinia Ridgeway
Victrinia Ridgeway

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:59 pm

That could work. However, to me, the lowest trunk makes the composition unique. I think without it, the tree is in better scale with the pot. But, the pot is only a training planter. I'm thinking more of a slab for a finished container.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down